Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dying muslin

dying muslin

I just bought a ton of muslin and would like to use it as backing...just don't like the color. Am currently working on a red and black hunter's star quilt, and really dont want to use a natural colored backing for it.

Has anyone ever dyed muslin? How did it work out for you? I'd rather use what I've already purchased rather than buy more fabric.

WHAT AM I SAYING??!!!

Seriously though, I want to do the back in plain black fabric, can I dye the muslin?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

I dye muslin all the time. get the fiber reactive dye kit from dharma trading. :-)
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Be aware that black is a very difficult color to dye...especially if you start with a non-white fabric.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    If you count the cost of the dye and all the stuff needed to set the dye - will you have saved all that much?

i dye muslin all the time- one of my favorite things to do- i love creating my own backings- and i do save alot of money when you look at backings going for $18+ a yard...i can create a one of a kind beautiful backing for much much less.
    i purchase my supplies from Dharma Trading Company- and since the dyes last and go a long way you do not have to invest alot to create beautiful original fabrics.
    2 books i recommend are:
    the dyer's dictionary
    and
    Fabric to dye for.
    but you do not have to purchase a book- when shopping at Dharma they have free instruction guides, hints, tips, and all the supplies you need.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You also need ready to dye muslin to work the best and yes black is a very difficult fabric to dye.

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    You also need ready to dye muslin to work the best and yes black is a very difficult fabric to dye.
    it is easy enough to prepare any 100% cotton muslin for dyeing- you do not have to buy something special that says- ready to dye-
    you simply pre-wash the muslin with detergent- to remove any chemicals/sizing/oils- then dry it- no fabric softener- you do not want to add anything you just washed out- once it has be laundered- with detergent- dried chemical free- it is prepared for dyeing.
    the prepared for dyeing fabrics you purchase are without sizing/chemicals/fabric softeners. beyond that they are nothing special
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy