Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest way to learn to PP??? >

Easiest way to learn to PP???

Easiest way to learn to PP???

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM

I use the twiddletails method and Love it. I didn't like having to tear off paper, sewing thru paper, I am space challenged and had problem cutting fabric the right size to cover the area to be covered, etc etc and ended up very frustrated BUT with the method at twiddletails it was super easy for me and I now love to paperpiece.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM

For me the best source of directions and lots of patterns to practice on is Quilter's Cache - Marcia Hohn has literally thousands of patterns, many of them paper pieced, and she shows you how easy it is to do, too. Her website is a handy reference book you can take anywhere you go, as long as you have an internet connection, and it doesn't add to your weight limit. Try a few of the easier ones, build up your confidence and soon you'll be making PP'd blocks with the best of them!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 PM

I'm a newbie but when I wanted to learn paper piecing I looked for tutorials on line. The one from Connecting Threads taught me how to do it. It's very clear.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM

go to carol doak and she has some free patterns she is really great I think she has a help section too
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
QM
Power Poster

Miss Sandra has it right. Carol Doak is the Queen of PP and is quite clear. Start with something simple. IMHO, Dresden Plate is about as easy as you can get. In my guild, even those who hated the idea of PPing were successful PPing plates for a fundraiser we did. The hardest part is getting used to thinking backwards.
1. When you position a piece, hold it up to a bright light to see if it is right. You might even pins and "open" it to see if it will fit.
2. Allow yourself plenty of fabric or precut your pieces.
3. Don't try it on a day that is already going badly.
4. It does seem like a lot of work, but the improved accuracy is worth it. (BTW, my first PPing project was a Mariner's compass for a friend who was dying. I got thru it in 2 days, but I strongly recommend against doing that.)
Attached Thumbnails purse-b.jpg   60-deg-diamond-hex-star.jpg