Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Binding Winder >

Easy Binding Winder

Easy Binding Winder

Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 AM

I use a piece of 2" diameter PVC pipe, about 15" long. It's nice and sturdy. We always seem to have stuff like that left over from home improvement projects.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 AM

I bought one pool noodle at the dollar store, I cut it in several lengths, roll the binding on them, pin it then when I am ready just put it on the floor and sew. Its wayyyy better than tp holder, and can be used for many things. I also pin my applique and hand work on them and keeps it from getting lost and wrinkled. Love them and very inexpensive.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 AM

A few hints on using the TP cardboard. First, pin the end to the cardboard before winding. Second, wind tightly - otherwise it will unroll wildly. Ask me how I know! I use this all the time and it is a breeze to put on bniding.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I remember reading that you can wrap the fabric around the toilet paper roll, and you can insert a ribbon or string in the roll hole and hang it around your neck or whatever, keeping the fabric totally controlled and off the floor, etc
I do the same. Cheap and does the job.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani View Post
I bought one pool noodle at the dollar store, I cut it in several lengths, roll the binding on them, pin it then when I am ready just put it on the floor and sew. Its wayyyy better than tp holder, and can be used for many things. I also pin my applique and hand work on them and keeps it from getting lost and wrinkled. Love them and very inexpensive.
I love pool noodles! Had not thought of that one. I buy them at the end of summer when on sale. Cut them to length to keep your boots upright!!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM

I like a wider binding than the Binding Winder will allow. I use to use a paper towel roller but then one day as I was finishing up a roll of Food Saver bags I noticed the roller was a lot better....more heavy duty. I just put a piece of yarn though it and roll my binding up on it and it works great. A lot better than having it sit beside me on the table I think.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I remember reading that you can wrap the fabric around the toilet paper roll, and you can insert a ribbon or string in the roll hole and hang it around your neck or whatever, keeping the fabric totally controlled and off the floor, etc
I read about that here, too. That is what I do and it works well for me. I do use a stiffer core than that on toilet paper.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 AM

I have one and it's not worth the money in my opinion. Great idea, but not really functional
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 AM

I'm trying not to purchase every gadget that comes around and I hated having my binding pooled on the floor as I attached it to my quilt so would roll it onto a flat cardboard I get from the canned cat food case or onto a TP cardboard. Came up with another idea as it would still be on the floor and the cat would have a lot of fun batting it around while I was attaching it so now I have it on a wire coat hanger. Had a few of these old timers laying around so cut a slot in the middle of the bottom rung and slid my TP roller onto it and hung it on a pipe on my rafters above. My sewing room is in the basement and its not finished totally so open beams with pipes strung around. Anyway, I can put 4-5 sets of bindings onto the hanger and pull it off as I need it. I Elmer Glue my binding onto my quilt top and then take it to the machine to stitch it so this idea is working great for me now.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I made a small heavy paper towel holder out of a piece of 2x4. drilled a small hole for a wooden dowel and gorilla glued it. I saved the cardboard roll from plastic wrap and foil wrap. They're heavier. You can make lots of binding to have on hand. Use bit of tape to attach to the roll and a pin to keep the ends in place for each roll of binding. Great for cording also.
Any paper towel holder such as pedestal type will work also.

Last edited by tessagin; 09-08-2015 at 07:52 AM.