Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • easy, fast quilts >
  • easy, fast quilts

• easy, fast quilts

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Hi Friends,
    I work with Project Linus and someone has given us three boxes of pre-cut plaid flannel 6" squares. I have been thinking about using them in 10 minute blocks to make quilts. Can you suggest any other easy, fast quilt patterns or anything else to make with these squares?
    (Project Linus makes and donates blankets and quilts to children in a crisis. We donate many of these to Ft. Bragg Army Base, where blankets are given to the children of injured or killed soldiers.)
    Thanks,
    Jo Ann
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 AM

I haven't made one myself but sounds like Rug quilts if acceptable for the project would be nice for flanels. Another very cute one that is on my to do list is the D9P which you can find here on the board. Good luck and God bless your efforts.
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 AM

One of my all time favorites is the D9P! That's a great thing you are doing! I grew up living on post during vietnam. We used to have playground rules for when the black sedans showed up in our neighborhood. The families of those soldiers are given 30 days to pack up and get out of post housing once their sponsor is dead.
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
    Banned

The easist would be half square triangle blocks. I believe for the type quilt and purpose "the more the better" and fancy patterns are not required. Of course just squares also work. Depending on the patterns some bright and colorful quilts can be created with squares.
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 AM

How about pinwheels with 9 patch alternating. That's one of Quilt it for Kids standby patterns! And there is a great way to make pinwheels by sewing the squares on all four sides and cutting them on the diagonal. This eliminates the triangles problem with flannel! And I think there is a tutorial on this board for that technique.

Bless you and have fun!
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 AM

What about rag quilts? They are so nice with flannels. And easy, need no batting.
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM

I agree with rag quilts. You just need five inch batting squares, which is a good use of batting scraps. You can get non-sewists to help trim the seams after, which is the hardest part, in my humble opinion...
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by joivey
    Hi Friends,
    I work with Project Linus and someone has given us three boxes of pre-cut plaid flannel 6" squares. I have been thinking about using them in 10 minute blocks to make quilts. Can you suggest any other easy, fast quilt patterns or anything else to make with these squares?
    (Project Linus makes and donates blankets and quilts to children in a crisis. We donate many of these to Ft. Bragg Army Base, where blankets are given to the children of injured or killed soldiers.)
    Thanks,
    Jo Ann
    I will have to see if Ft.Rucker has this program, that would be a good cause for the children to make quilts for.
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Project Linus is not a part of the military bases........we are a group the covers certain counties and Ft. Bragg is in our region. Look for Project Linus in your area. Thanks for your interest.
    JoAnn
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Did you check out the project linus site? I know they have some patterns on there but they're not always easy. I do a lot of light/dark with the stripe going diagonal. Eleanor burns has it in her trip around the world book, only I do a much simpler version of that with larger pieces. You can use light/dark too, don't all have to be the same print in your stripe.