Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EASY finishing binding >

EASY finishing binding

EASY finishing binding

Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM

I overlap the ends by the width of the binding. Trim off the excess and then sew a mitered seam. Works perfectly every time!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 PM

I use this tutorial and it works perfectly each time.: http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/e...ding/index.htm
Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 PM

This is the method I find the easiest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuS76wVW210
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 PM

I loved the binding tool. I was afraid the first time to cut the fabric but it came out perfect. I am making 6 table toppers using the binding tool tonight. Jenny had a tutorial on it.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:24 AM

I love the binding tool too.....
Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 AM

l give up trying to do the slant method....I just fold down the two ends as they meet and mark with a pencil on the inside and sew together....I press my seam open and trim and it seems to work fine...of course...nothing of mine is entered in a quilt show...sure they would not accept this method but it works for me
Old 07-04-2015, 05:13 AM

I use Sharon Schambers' method. I learned it on a youtube video she has posted. Works like a charm every time (for me, at least)
Old 07-04-2015, 05:36 AM

Jenny at MSQC has a video - The Binding Tool Explained - I watch it multiple times each time I am finishing binding. It works great if used correctly.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 AM

Jenny Doan's method works, but I can make it better. If you press a triangle into the beginning of the binding, that will show you where to cut off the tail. When I start putting on the binding, I fold down the top edge so that all raw edges are lined up on the edge of the quilt. Leaving a tail, sew on the binding. (I like how Jenny turns corners. I've been doing it that way for a few years now.) When you come to the finishing end of the binding, you will find that the ending tail can be placed over the beginning tail, and should be cut off at the base of the triangle. That is exactly the width of the binding. That works no matter how wide your binding is. No 2 1/2 inch to worry about.
Hold the ends RST the way you sewed all the other seams in your binding leaving no "plus sign". Sew those two ends together on the diagonal, following the line you pressed in at the beginning, but leave ears.
One more thing I wish Jenny would do is: Open the seam after it is sewn. We're trying to reduce bulk by sewing all these seams on the diagonal, so opening the seam helps a lot, too.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:21 AM

I do the one where you cut the end your gonna start with at an angle and press down 1/4 inch so no raw edge, fold in half, and start sewing right at beginning. Then when you come back to it to end it, you just cut enough to leave a couple inches, and shove the end into the first part already sewn down. I use my 1/2 inch ruler to do this part. So it is mitered, but not really sewn together at the miter. Make any sense? I found this long ago on a blog or somewhere on here, not sure. I don't enter any quilt shows either, and it works for me!