Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Sewing Ideas >

Easy Sewing Ideas

Easy Sewing Ideas

Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Easy Sewing Ideas

My almost 10-year-old DGD would like to get sewing supplies for Christmas. What I'm looking for is ideas for very easy projects to get patterns and supplies for her. I was thinking about a pattern and fabric for an American Girl doll, but wonder if this would be too difficult. She has made pajama pants, with lots of help from her mom and myself. Was also thinking of easy placemats or small quilts. Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

My granddaughter picked out her own fabrics from my stash and I cut them into big squares for her and she sewed them together into her own "pattern" and I sandwiched it for her. I think the doll clothes may be too much because they are so small. I want her to stay excited about the sewing so I don't specifically "teach" her about the machine but build in little lessons. Have fun with her!!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM

A pillowcase for her bed pillow. A decorative pillow for her bed would also be easy.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

My 8 year old niece comes over about 2x a week. She practices on scraps while I supervise. Today I went to a local sewing center. While there the clerk showed me a Little Kitty sewing kit. The scissors are just the right size for her and it also comes with a measuring tape. I thought what the heck and went ahead and got it. I ended up getting nothing for myself. I send scraps home with her and she practices on those. She just cuts the scraps into different shapes and has make a cute little scrap quilt for a doll. 18"x18" All the scraps were girly colors. A lot of pink and some purple. I should have taken a photo. She was interested in how the machine operated from the beginning.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

a package or two of charm squares would be good for her to practice arranging the colors, etc. and sewing them into a small quilt will give her practice in sewing, pinning, and matching seams. have fun
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM

I'd stay away from the doll clothes -- too many tight curves and small seams.

Here are some thoughts:
-- aprons
-- doll quilts
-- pillow cases
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM

I think the doll clothes are too difficult but she could make a simple quilt out of squares or strips for her doll. You want projects that go quickly and easily. JoAnn's will sell fabric by the inch and I think Walmart will, too, ifnyou have one nearby that sells fabric. You could pick up (or let her pick out) a few fabrics for a quilt. Even 6 inches of 3 or 4 fabrics, along with some from your stash would be enough. I only suggest the new prints to getnsomething she is especially happy with. Have fun!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM

I have been sewing since I was 4yrs old, and I started on my Mom's Featherweight that I now own. I just stitched on the lines of school paper to start, then drew shapes and followed the lines. I was making doll clothes (nothing with an actual pattern) pretty soon after that. I gathered lengths of fabric for skirts, tied knots in squares for "tops" for my doll, etc. My mom gave me all her scraps and elastic and cord, I was VERY creative! I was making my own clothes in jr. high. I am now 70 yrs old, teaching my 9 and 7yr oldDGDs to sew and sent them home with a machine last visit. They are pretty smart little cookies, figured out the buttons and knobs and were making pillow cases on the second day. We made a bolster pillow together, I embroidered and they stitched pillow cases for friends' b-day gifts. We had a blast. Don't discount 10yr old's ability to sew!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM

I agree.........might add a 10 minute table runner in there she could make for her mom.
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I'd stay away from the doll clothes -- too many tight curves and small seams.

Here are some thoughts:
-- aprons
-- doll quilts
-- pillow cases
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

there are a couple of good books on the market designed for teaching kids to sew. It teaches them about the machine while they work on a simple project. don't have the names handy right now, but take a look at Joann's book section, etc. these books will tell you want the projects are and you can make up the "Kits" for them if you want separate packages for her to open.