Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eclipse Sit down Quilting machinetest >

Eclipse Sit down Quilting machinetest

Eclipse Sit down Quilting machinetest

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Eclipse Sit down Quilting machinetest

I have tried many sit down quilting machines and to be honest it is a little overwhelming. Recently I learned of a dealer in my town that sells the Eclipse Sit down. I am test driving one in a couple of weeks. Anyone ever heard of this model or have any information on it? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Never heard of this brand. Who makes it? Let us know what you think.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Power Poster

I have never heard of this brand either. I did find this link: http://eclipsequilter.com/sitdown.html

Personally, I would stick with one of the tried-and-true brands such as the HQ Sweet Sixteen. Sometimes you can find them used in great condition, which saves a lot of money. Plus, if you ever want to sell it, the Sweet Sixteen would be much better known than the Eclipse, therefore easier to sell. Prices seem to be similar. Here is a link to the Sweet Sixteen: https://www.handiquilter.com/machine/hq_sweet_sixteen/

What you want in a sitdown is good tension and reliability, plus plenty of harp space (space under the arm). You may or may not want a stitch regulator; many do fine without one.

Also, be aware that the rule-of-thumb is to spend an entire year researching and trying out quilting machine options before making a purchase. Yes, it's overwhelming at first; however, after you've done enough research, the best options for your particular situation tend to become clear. You really do not want to experience buyer's remorse for a purchase this large.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 AM

I would be a little leary of an ad by a company that can't even spell the word dealer! Go with a reputable company that you know about. IMHO.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Thanks so much for your responses. I have been researching machines for nearly a year, visited forums, talked to different people, etc.. I also learned how important it is to have a dealer/repair person close by. The designer of this machine was the main designer for the HQ and Tin Lizzie. It has been out for about 5 years. I will keep you posted as to the "test drive". One plus is they are giving me a great deal since I live in the area. Their warranty is better than Juki which was my other choice.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:21 AM

I can't think of the name but Gracie has one that Leah Day does a tutorial on every Sunday. So far she's liking it. She never thought she would, she's always used domestic machines. Its pretty impressive. I know at the show a few weeks ago the machine along with the table was 3400
Old 03-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I would be a little leary of an ad by a company that can't even spell the word dealer! Go with a reputable company that you know about. IMHO.

No quality control on the website, how is the quality control on the product? Not very professional for company at all.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I think quality control is important, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over one spelling error on a website. You see the same thing happen in other major brands. The people building the machines are certainly not the ones managing the website.

I think the warranty and service from the local dealer would be much bigger factors in my decision making than a single typo. Give the machine a try, and see how it feels.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

the people building the machines are certainly not the ones managing the website.
But if it was your company wouldn't you read your webpage? Not even noticing the error is pretty lame.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM

I purchased a Janome Artistic Quilter SD-18 a year ago. It came with a table and extensions to allow for large quilts. Contact your Local Janome dealer to see if he/she has one on display and give it a try.
For some reason I can't upload the picture