Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Edge to Edge Quilting >

Edge to Edge Quilting

Edge to Edge Quilting

Old 06-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Default Edge to Edge Quilting

Can someone explain to me what exactly is edge to edge quilting and when do you use that technique?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:17 AM

I have my LA quilter do edge to edge quilting on my quilts all of the time. It is a design that just goes from one edge of your quilt to the other edge. It is (I am assuming) much easier than custom quilting. The LA quilter that I used to use had a computerized quilting machine and just set the design I picked and the machine would automatically quilt. I think she was close by and watching it tho'
Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Edge to Edge (aka E2E) quilting is using the exact same quilting design across the entire quilt top as opposed to quilting a unique motif in each block or doing one design in the center of the quilt and a different design in the borders. E2E quilting can be an all over meander, straight lines, swirls, pebbles, clamshells, baptist fan, an all over cross hatch design or an elaborate design like the kind offered in Pantographs that LA quilters use. Basically the quilting pattern ignores the piecing all together. It is ideally used on very busy fabrics or patterns where the quilting won't really show. It is also a very economical option when using LA quilting and it is fast and easy.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 AM

I use my walking foot to quilt---mostly straight line, wavy lines or variations of these. I always thought of this type as edge to edge quilting as each line or pass over the quilt starts and stops on the outside edge of the quilt. This way I have no thread stops to bury knots in the body of the quilt.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I crosshatch most of my quilts stitching from one corner to the opposite corner edge to edge and then reverse and go from corner to the opposite corner edge to edge until the whole quilt is quilted.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

It is done on a long arm, not a domestic sewing machines and usually involves using a Pantograph design to follow.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I do it on my regular machine. Start at one end or corner and go to the opposite corner or side. Either follow a pattern I marked or a straight line. I always start in the center edge of the quilt.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It is done on a long arm, not a domestic sewing machines and usually involves using a Pantograph design to follow.
No, any method of quilting, even hand quilting, can be used to do an edge to edge design. I used my DSM to do edge to edge cross hatch with my walking foot with a piece of masking tape as my guide. Many people will do an all over meander E2E with their domestic. I have even seen people do all over baptist fan or even feathers all over with a DSM. A pantograph with LA is a type of E2E but certainly not the only type. E2E means the same quilting all over the quilt top ignoring the piecing, it is in no way a reference to methodology.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Not true you can now do it on a regular sewing machine that can embroider, there are edge to edge embroidery designs that you can but for your embroidery machine as well
Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 PM

Meandering or any other "all over" design is edge to edge, whether done by hand, dsm or longarm.