Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EEEEEK! A bit puckery?

Straight from the sewing womb, ok, I am a clueless sewer. I think maybe I have something set wrong on my sewing machine. The stitching is too close together I guess? Do I change the stitch type on my dial? I have a singer genie, old thing but the shop man said it works fine and is in good shape. Thought I was going to have a hissy fit when it took me ten minutes to thread the darn needle. Can't wait till I am through kindergarten lol.

Blog Entries
    Do you have the manual for your machine??? I would try lengthening the stitches a little if you think they are too small. It could be just needing a minor adjustment...I kept notes by my machine on what settings I used for stitch lengths, tension settings etc... that way if they got moved or I need to change them when I sew something different, I don't have to guess or depend on my memory :roll: to get the perfect stitches again :wink:

I couldn't find the manual so I sent away for a photocopied one. Didn't look at, just panicked and ran here. I changed the "pattern selector" and the second square I sewed on looked better. The note making sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I'm not the best at advice on tension....I just play around on a scrap before I start the block...then when I am happy with the stitches I go to the block. Sometimes it takes a few attempts and a tantrum or two :lol: :lol:

Banned
    you want to increase the stitch length but i don't know which button that is on your machine.

Thanks ladies, that helps. Now my thread broke at least I am laughing now. I am going to look up tension in my manual. At least I feel like I am on the maiden voyage now...just choppy waters heh.

Hang in there, soon you will know your machine and it will be great!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *QuilterWannabee*
    Thought I was going to have a hissy fit when it took me ten minutes to thread the darn needle. Can't wait till I am through kindergarten lol.
    If needle threading is a problem, you can get bulk quantities of needle threaders on ebay. That would leave you more sewing time!

sounds like you already have my advise, just keep at it, it will all come to you. it takes me a bit to get to know a new machine, each machine is different, each has it own idiosyncricies (sp?)

Tension can be to blame and like others have said you just
    have to get to know your own machine.

Do hang in there---it's worth the effort!!!!! :lol:

(from someone who is know to have an actual hissy fit
    if the tension is wrong and the stitches look bad :twisted: )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast