Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Eleanor Burns methods

I started doing the Underground Railroad quilt using the book by E. Burns. My hst pieces are coming out 1/4 bigger than they should be. Anyone else have this problem?

Eleanor Burns usually makes her hst bigger so you can square them up using her ruler. That way they are always perfect.

Almost all of her techniques are larger than needed. That way you never have different sized blocks....

You're doin' it right. Like everyone has said, square them up to the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    You're doin' it right. Like everyone has said, square them up to the right size.
    and this can be done with any ruler with a 45 degree line (its easier if the ruler is square not rectangle). doesn't have to be HER square it up ruler. ;)

that's so you can trim them to perfection!

Her triangle square up ruler is the best tool I have and I have lots.
    You only have to make ONE cut to square up a HST. It is so simple, you cut before you open the square.
    It is a must have ruler.

Yes, she makes them bigger because you need to cut them down to size. Just don't forget to square the half square triangles up, trim down, before sewing them together. I now have a big stack, 12, of very large birds in the air blocks for the Underground Rail Road quilts I am making. I think I will sew all those large blocks together into a small birds in the air quilt and make a stack of new Birds In the air blocks for the Under Ground Rail Road quilts I am making. :shock: :oops: :roll:

I love the Underground Railroad block. I want to make a whole project with just that block. The chain pattern will be great. I love quilts with secondary patterns.