Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Electric Quilt 6   computer software >

Electric Quilt 6 computer software

Electric Quilt 6 computer software

Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM

I'm sure we have been there and done the same thing, Susan!! LOL
I have been doing some free motion quilting on my grace II frame. Is that what you are talking about wanting to learn?
I have really enjoyed doing mine!!
Gay
Old 02-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Actually I don't have a grace quilting frame. I just have a machine...with the freestyle foot. My quilting buddy does not quilt..she ties her quilts so I don't have anyone to learn with..

I think a lot is learning tension, thread and just practicing...any helpful hints are appreciated.

Susan
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

I think one of the best things I was told to do, Susan was to take some cheap muslin and batting and just play. I did several pieces of that before I got brave enough to put a quilt on the frame. I think that the same would apply whether quilting on a frame or on a machine.
Gay
Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Check out differnt places to get eq5 you might find it fairly cheap now that eq6 is out and you can always get the upgade to eq6 at a later time.

I finally broke down and got eq5 on ebay and it came with the following books:
Design cookbook, color, drawing, quilt design the books alone are about $30 Got all for $125 now when I understand it better I can get the upgrade to 6 for about $75. It was here in 4 days.

I have a long ways to go to understand everything about it but have designed 3 differnt quilts for future projects. I realy like it and am glad I finaly broke down to buy it

Thats my 2cents on the subject.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Hi Susan:
I bought EQ5 a few months ago and am still learning how to use it but what I've done has been pretty awesom. What i like about the program the most is being able to see your chosen block on the computer screen, put in the exact fabric you want to use for the block (either from the fabric library, the Fabric Stash Program or by scanning your own fabric into the computer) and then SEEING what your block is going to look like before you ever cut or sew a stitch. I don't always SEE the best way to put my colors together so the end product or pattern "POPS." With EQ5 you get to trade your fabrics in or out, put new colors with your fabric, etc. and get exactly what you like then you get to see what the block is going to look like in your whole quilt then you can add the sashing, binding, corner stones, etc. I wish I was better at using the program and I've signed up for a class at our local quilt store but they are waiting until they have more than 6 students to take the class. I can't wait to take it.

Also, the EQ5 gives you printing options for templates for whatever block size you want to make and you can print out your pattern in seconds. I love the program already but will love it more as I get better at using it.
I paid $110 for the EQ5 at our local quilt store. I think it was worth the money because I have all my "projects" saved and can go back and pull them up and make them whenever I want. On the computer screen you get a larger view, too, which helps you see the details. I have quilt books but I like this program better than a book.

My friend wanted to make a quilt for her daughter out of fabric her daughter bought for the quilt. My friend hated the fabric choices but brought it all to my house and we scanned it in and did a sample quilt block on screen. By moving the fabric around, taking only one piece out and replacing it with another color we were able to make her a wonderful
pattern showing the actual fabric she had and she ended up loving the block which has now become a queen size quilt since last week! Before she had the use of EQ5 at my house, she was shopping around for ALL new fabric as she didn't think her daughter's choice for fabric would work up nicely.

Randy