Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Electric Quilt - have you used it? >

Electric Quilt - have you used it?

Electric Quilt - have you used it?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 AM

I'm working on a quilt design and found that baycreek.com will create acrylic templates for my pattern pieced blocks if I sent it in eq5 or eq6 format.

I looked up eq6 and found that it is the output of the Electric Quilt. Looks like a very exciting package of features.

I'm interested in hearing what experiences this board has had with Electric Quilt 5, 6 or 7.

Thanks,
Guys!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 AM

I purchased EQ 7 a few months ago after wanting it forever. I installed it, played around with it the first day and then never touched it again. It comes with a instruction manual that is about 3" thick. I just sold it recently here on the QB. I just don't have the time to invest in learning how to use it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM

I have EQ6 and love it. I could spend all day in there. I have not seen EQ7, but would love to get the newest version and try it out :lol:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
I'm working on a quilt design and found that baycreek.com will create acrylic templates for my pattern pieced blocks if I sent it in eq5 or eq6 format.
Use it, love it.

You can find cheaper versions of the older, but still powerful and useful, EQ5 out there if you don't want to buy the latest EQ7.

Best price for EQ7 is at http://quiltinaday.com/shoponline/gi...ay.asp?i=28132 for $133, free shipping with orders over $150. The sale runs every few weeks so check back (it's on now).

And thanks for the baycreek information. That could come in handy in the future.
Here's the link :
http://www.quilttemplates.com/customorders.html
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM

Best price for EQ7 is at http://quiltinaday.com/shoponline/gi...ay.asp?i=28132 for $133, free shipping with orders over $150. The sale runs every few weeks so check back (it's on now).

Great info! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 AM

I have 6 & 7 and a whole bunch of standalone and EQ compatible software - Dear Jane, Farmer's Wife, BlockBase, Quilting Designs, Baltimore Album, etc.

If you like to work with computer graphics programs, you will like EQ just as much, because it contains a drawing program. You can draw pieced blocks with straight or curved seams or you can draw appliqued blocks with any shapes you can imagine. You can bring in your own paper sketches or a photo and use it as a guide for drawing, then discard the guide just like you'd use layers in graphics program.

If you want to be able to scan your own fabrics and create realistic mockups of a quilt, you will love this. Some fabric companies are already providing digital swatches of their fabrics - Connecting Threads, Moda, Andover and Northcott, that I know of. But EQ has an extensive library of fabrics as free downloads on their site, as well, and it's possible to at least match your fabric with one of the same overall color and value.

It's wonderful to be able to print so many helps from the program. Rotary cutting directions, cutting templates, foundation papers, applique templates, yardage charts, etc.

You can rotate blocks, make each one different, (as with a sampler) set them on point, set them with or without sashing, with or without borders, multiple borders, many types of borders, many types of layouts... it's a huge amount of fun. :)

The learning curve can be a little daunting but the program contains several videos that show you how to do some thing step by step. It's also got extensive help files and "How Do I?" topics - and it's got a web site with exhaustive information on a variety of EQ functions and projects.

If you design your own quilts or want to, EQ is such a huge help and so much fun that it makes up for the initial difficulty in learning. :)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 AM

I started with EQ5 - bumped to 6 and now up to 7. If you take a couple of hours to go through their tutorial... (which you can do while creating one of your own designs) you are proficient.

I create designs, templates, shopping lists and rotary cutting instructions.

LOVE IT!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I purchased EQ 7 a few months ago after wanting it forever. I installed it, played around with it the first day and then never touched it again. It comes with a instruction manual that is about 3" thick. I just sold it recently here on the QB. I just don't have the time to invest in learning how to use it.
Same here, too much learning curve. Tried to do the lessons, forgot everything the next time I went back to it and got tired of starting over.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

i bought EQ5 years ago and cannot, simply cannot, live without it. i find it most interesting that baycreek.com will make your templates to match. that is a very good service to know about.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I have upgraded my EQ since it first came out...Each time they had a new one come out I upgraded...I spend either toooo much time here on the board or on my EQ7 program. Fiance' says I should just design quilt patterns and sell them as I don't seem to get anything else done :oops: . He is right of course...But I also like to quilt so I need to smartin up and find some balance between being on the board, eq program and quilting...hehehehe