Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ElectricQuilt 5 >

ElectricQuilt 5

ElectricQuilt 5

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM

I have an opportunity to purchase EQ5...I was wondering if any of you have EQ5 and what are your opinions...I would like to be able to look for a block of any size, and then print it out...that sort of thing...your opinions would be appreciated...
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 AM

I have EQ5. I certainly don't use it to it's full potential but it can be very handy. I'm not overly creative. I usually use it for putting together blocks then see if I like the border proportions; different colorways, etc. It will give you yardage requirements but it's not the most effecient use of fabric. I will say, I've not come up short any time I've used their requirements for any projects. Just a small word of caution...I recently got a new computer which operates on Windows 7. It takes EQ5 a bit longer to load and the graphics aren't quite as sharp. It does function fully but if you see a computer upgrade in your future you might want a later version of EQ so they play together a little better.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks for your input..I appreciate it..:)
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM

Hi! I'm an EQ5 user and love it. If you're interested there is lessons on the EQ website http://www.electricquilt.com listed under Lessons. I completed the mystery lessons called Skylights and found that it has helped me tremendously to understand the program and how to use it, so much better than the manuals.
If you have any questions please post them. Chris
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM

I have EQ5 - but quickly upgraded to EQ6. I prefer the newer version.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM

I hope you are not paying more than $20 for EQ5. EQ is now at version 7 and you can not upgrade from EQ5 to EQ7, without purchasing the entire package. There is no longer any support for it from the manufacturer, either.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I hope you are not paying more than $20 for EQ5. EQ is now at version 7 and you can not upgrade from EQ5 to EQ7, without purchasing the entire package. There is no longer any support for it from the manufacturer, either.
I respectfull disagree with there not being any support from the manufacturer. They are still selling add ons for EQ5 on the front page of their site :D:D:D
They will also cheerfully answer any questions about any of their products. I have called them a number of times and they were very kind and helpful :D:D:D

http://www.electricquilt.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM

If you like to play with computer graphics programs, you will probably like EQ, too. There's a pretty steep learning curve, but it has so many advantages over drawing and coloring graph paper, it's not even funny.

Use scans of your own fabric or manufacturers jpgs or .fab files to make your quilts with pictures of actual fabrics.

Make your blocks exactly the size you want. Print templates or paper foundations or rotary cutting charts for that block.

Set your blocks straight, on point, with sashing and/or cornerstones or without, with or without borders, as many as you want, pieced, appliqued or plain, mitered or boxed.

Try as many different layouts as you want. Rotate blocks, rotate alternating blocks or individual blocks to investigate secondary designs. Swap colors and fabrics to your heart's content. Honestly, it's become as much fun for me to design "virtual" quilts as it is to make real ones.

Plan the quilting designs, binding, applique accents, photo blocks or even machine embroidery designs.

Have your yardage and # of patches calculated for you and print the chart to take to the fabric store with you - with swatches of fabric printed on the list.

The software is just as addictive as quilting itself. :)

If you can purchase the newest full version, I think you'd be happier in the long run.

It's on sale at quiltinaday.com for $134 or something like that, so it's a little more expensive than EQ5, but if you like doing this type of computer stuff, you will get a million $$$ worth of entertainment out of it before you know it.

It's like Super-Pac-Man, Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft for Quilters! ;)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM

If you're not sure how much you will use the software then getting EQ5 and get the upgrades later might make sense. But if you like drawing your own patterns, then maybe getting the newer version makes sense. I would read what the features are of newer versions are on the website and see what interests you.
I'm happy with version 5, I can draw or pick from the library the designs I want. To have more block designs, I purchased Barbara Brackman's Encylopedia of Quilt Patterns and with the drawing features I can draw any block that's in the book. I don't use the fabric library at all, I may plan what color I would like to use in a quilt, but think its better not to be so set on what color or print because I might not be able to find it. There might be newer features on the upgrades but haven't been convinced that I need them. Chris
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM

Thank all of you for responding...I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input...that's what's great about this board....for now, I think I will just learn EQ5...there aren't enough hours in a day...Again, thankyou. Elaine