Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's for basting...NOT! >

Elmer's for basting...NOT!

Elmer's for basting...NOT!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Well I'm here to tell yall that I loved this thread. Many laughs and only have 1 more thing to say. Coyotemagic where in the heck were you back in the day when I had to pin baste my quilts?? I tried the spray but never worked worth a hoot for me. Moving out my furniture and banning the Boston Terriers until I was done (Queen and King mostly) made my knees and back cry for mercy. Had to get er done in a day so DH wouldn't have to deal with it on the floor.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jude by the sea View Post
Does anyone know where to buy the tips for the elmers glue. I have looked at Joann's and Michels. I had great success using Elmer's Shaoron Schamblers's way. I loved her tutorials on youtube
I bought my tips directly from Sharon Schamber, but I understand she doesn't carry them anymore. Others have said they purchased theirs at art supply stores (the "serious" stores, not craft stores like Joann's & Michael's). Hope you find one!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I think Michael's carries the tips where the glass painting supplies are.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM

I would haveto agree with you on the chemicals. I have adult onset asthma and even a whiff of cigarette smoke just really does me in. I think I'll stick to my pins! I know it's harder, but with the basting pins, it's far easier and is not likely to send me into respiratory arrest! LOL Guess I'm just very old fashioned! PLUS: The spray glue (Elmer's) sounds like the spray or roll-on glue my husband used to apply formica to cabinets/table tops, etc. That stuff has a base of lacquer and it will flat make you high! Don't think you really want to go there!

Jeanette Frantz

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 08-03-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: left out information
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Always an interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up Delilah!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Would any white school glue do I wonder. Some glues can be mixed with water and used but do they leave marks. In England not seen elmo glue. I split my large quits into sections size of kitchen table. Then quilt leaving a 1inch edge all around. Join as would any pieced section then trim batting and fold over backing and hand stitch. To finish quilt over the join .this is so much easier especially with physical problems as well as house size problems. Look at "angiequilts" blog where quilts done this way on show , Posh Lize, is not old or informed her wonderful quilt is being done in 3 sections.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 AM

When you say "washable", that means it's not washable. It won't survive through a wash, it washes out. ? ? ?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Would any white school glue do I wonder.
Yes, it does not have to be Elmer's brand. You can use any washable school glue.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
When you say "washable", that means it's not washable. It won't survive through a wash, it washes out. ? ? ?
Not sure I understand what you're saying.... "washable" school glue will wash out. So if you want it to be permanent, you'll want to find a fabric glue that says it's permanent. I use the washable school glue a LOT instead of pinning when I sew.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM

OMG now that is the way to do it. thank you