Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

Elmers glue with Sharon Schamber's method ...

I like the results I get using Sharon Schamber's method of basting with the boards. I get a nice, tight, straight quilt. But I hate hand basting. I also hate when the basting threads catch on my FMQ foot.

So ....

I'm trying the Elmers school glue basting method combined with Sharon Schamber's boards. It's going to be tricky because with the top and bottom on the boards - I'll have to work "backwards" (at least after the first area).

I've just glued the backing/batting/top in the first area. Waiting for it to dry/set.

Fingers crossed.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Someone on here does spray basting with the boards, haven't tried it yet though
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I used Elmer's school glue, the liquid kind, and it smeared a bit (will wash out, and I always wash my quilts when done). Then I tried Elmer's school glue, stick version and like it soooo much better. Easier to control, no smears, nothing on my hands. Either beat pinning!

I used the Sharon Schamber board method and spray basted instead of thread basted the last 4 quilts I basted. It works really well. But I'm about to run out of spray baste and I don't have a LQS close to get 505 and I'm not very fond of the other brands of spray baste so I'm really thinking about trying Elmer's if it's a quilt I'm going to wash anyway.

I don't know the Sharon Schamber method, but I spray baste all the time. I've used Elmer's Spray and another one I bought from Jo Ann's but I don't remember the name. I think the Elmer's binds faster so doesn't allow as much adjustment. I wouldn't go back to the pinning and basting!

Think I missed something. There has been reference to using Elmers glue to basting the quilt sandwich together. I am aware of using the glue for binding, but is there a different use for the glue and how is it used to baste the quilt together.

Well ... finished. I will quilt it tomorrow but it looks good. Overall I think it took more time than it would to hand baste because I did sections and had to wait for each section to dry ... but it gave me the chance to do other things while waiting AND *I* wasn't basting!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I learned Sharon Schamber's method of rolling on boards and then basting... Did 2 quilts that way. Since then I've substituted 505 spray for the hand basting step in her process and I am MUCH happier! I've spray basted a couple of kingsize quilts this way and FMQ'd them without any puckering problems at all. They hold together very well with 505 spray.
    Wendy

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I used the Sharon Schamber board method and spray basted instead of thread basted the last 4 quilts I basted. It works really well. But I'm about to run out of spray baste and I don't have a LQS close to get 505 and I'm not very fond of the other brands of spray baste so I'm really thinking about trying Elmer's if it's a quilt I'm going to wash anyway.
    I've gotten 505 online at Joanns with a coupon or when it's on sale. Comes right to my door!
    DJ_____________________

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I've gotten 505 online at Joanns with a coupon or when it's on sale. Comes right to my door!
    So have I. The last time I got it it was on sale for 50% off. But it's not even listed on their website anymore.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast