Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this?

Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this?

Hi...I've been reading here and there about some folks using Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning matching seams. Does this really work? Would it be better to use a basting fabric glue?

I'm interested to see if many of you have tried this and if it works.

you could do a search, and you will find many testimonials. "they" say it does work!

Well to the modern world of sewing! Most will rinse the glue out when the quilt is finished.

Blog Entries
    Any washable glue will work. Elmer's School glue is super cheap and can be found in every town. It's not really a glue but a very dense starch so it does no harm even when heated. If I have a lot of seams to match I use it. My iron becomes my sewing machine.
    Got fabric?

i use it sometimes. mostly when making bindings. it helps keep it all together.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I HATE binding. I can't use a needle so have always machine sewn binding to back, turn it and then sew it down on the front. I use Elmer's School Glue to turn to the front doing one edge at a time. I press it to dry the glue working my way around the quilt. I ALMOST don't mind attaching the binding doing it this way. I even used a decorative stitch to sew it down on my latest quilt--a first for me.

I use it all the time for seams, binding, holding down appliqué pieces, and even basting. Works great, never had a problem.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

I used the white school glue all the time before I got my longarm and frame...I used the store kind from Hobby Lobby and bought it in the economy pack with the 40% off coupon....worked GREAT!!!

I use it all the time with binding (I use the glue sticks - a bit messier, but dries faster when ironed) and have used it on the last two quilts to baste the layers together (liquid for this purpose)....I have never used glue for matching seams, but it seems to be a time consuming project to glue, match together and then iron dry every seam (I can pin much faster)....I do love the way it holds, specially when basting a sandwich....and then it all washes out with no stains....and so cheap!

I am a "they" who likes it to match seam intersections and also to baste.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast