Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's washable? >

Elmer's washable?

Elmer's washable?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. I did do a search on the QB Search and didn't see anything about damaging a machine using this process. But I guess I was looking for answers directed to what happened and what was said.i'm really new to quilting. I still have my water wings on and a life jacket LOL! So when someone basically tells I'll have to buy another machine if I do this. I really have to question myself. Thanks for the responses!! I feel better

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: remove negativity
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama View Post
We just had a speaker come to our quilt guild, she stated that Elmer's glue is a thick starch.
This mindless spread of misinformation drives me nuts. The speaker was incorrect. Elmer's is NOT a starch. It is a PVA-based synthetic glue (polyvinyl acetate).

From Elmer's website:

How is glue made?

Elmer's Glues are chemical based. They are made or formulated from chemicals which are synthesized (created by Man). These chemicals were originally obtained or manufactured from petroleum, natural gas and other raw materials found in Nature.

http://www.elmers.com/msds/me301_d.htm
Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 PM

I think the school glue is the same thing as Roxanne's basting glue. Which is sold specifically for using on quilts.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
I did a QB search and used "glue machine damage" and was sent to a wealth of information. The best was shown in the Main Section (vs Vintage) and was entitled Cleaning after Elmers Glue method

After I read them all, concensus that it didn't damage our machines. The glue should be dry when sewn.

Please find the posting and read it. I didn't know how to give you a direct link.
linda, thanks for doing the search. to post the link, click on the url in the web address box above. when it turns blue, right click and choose 'copy'. then come to the post you are making, right click again and choose 'paste'. here is the link http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t219854.html
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 AM

Thank you for this info. Wrong information also drives me nuts. I had also been under the impression this was starch.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This mindless spread of misinformation drives me nuts. The speaker was incorrect. Elmer's is NOT a starch. It is a PVA-based synthetic glue (polyvinyl acetate).

From Elmer's website:

How is glue made?

Elmer's Glues are chemical based. They are made or formulated from chemicals which are synthesized (created by Man). These chemicals were originally obtained or manufactured from petroleum, natural gas and other raw materials found in Nature.

http://www.elmers.com/msds/me301_d.htm
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 AM

I have been using Elmers washable school glue ever since the first posting about it here on QB. I have never had any problems with any of my machines, needles or the quilt itself.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 AM

The confusion here about ingredients may be because there are 2 Elmer's Washable School Glue products. Both come in the pourable or stick versions. The Elmer's "Natural" version is made primarily from corn. The containers are made from recyclable materials and the inks on the packaging are soy based. This product came on the market in the spring of 2013. The regular product is made from non toxic petroleum derivatives. If the Guild speaker was referring to the Elmer's Naturals product "corn starch" would be accurate as it is the starch in corn that has glueing properties.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: remove negativity
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I would assume that you have to make sure you are using the product correctly. I myself wouldn't use glue on a quilt except for the purple Elmer's stick for binding. I do it the old fashion way because if I notice there is a problem with the back suck as a possible tuck, I can easily correct it. I use to be able to pin baste a quilt quickly. Nothing worse than tucks while machine quilting!! I use to go to the LQS using their classroom. It was fun to spend the day there. I just worry that some newbie will ruin a quilt top by not executing the process correctly.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 06-02-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

It is very easy to see if there is a tuck in the quilt when you are smoothing it out over the batting. And it is easy to correct before it is dry. It doesn't dry immediately. I like to lay the quilt on my dining room table and do the center first. Also, the way the light is in there, I can see immediately if there is a tuck or bubble and can fix it right away. I did manage to get tucks with pin basting or thread basting, no matter how careful I was not to stretch the batting, taped it down, pins close together, etc. I guess no method is totally foolproof, but this one for me works the best. YMMV.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

You can dilute the glue. One member last week stated she used a small paint roller and it didn't affect her machine. Just use like a regular paint roller across the "canvass".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: remove negativity