Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna 7100 vs Janome 1600P vs Something Else? >

Elna 7100 vs Janome 1600P vs Something Else?

Elna 7100 vs Janome 1600P vs Something Else?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Elna 7100 vs Janome 1600P vs Something Else?

Hi all - I am new here and trying to buy a new machine. I was out shopping this morning and found a great offer on a floor model Elna 7100, about $300 less than the Janome, which the saleswoman said was the exact same machine. After trying to do a bit of research online, though it seems I can't find out any information on this Elna model. Does anyone know anything about this model or has anyone used it for a while? I am leaning toward this, as the Janome is so much more, but I want to make sure I am really getting the same quality.

It seems people are usually happy with Janomes and their service - does anyone have experience with Elna machines? How is their customer service?

Anyone have rec's of another similar machine that they love (looking in the $700ish range)? I am primarily looking for something I can piece and FMQ with, as well as some straight line quilting from time to time. I don't need anything with extra decorative stitches, as I have another machine that has all of those functions, but just doesn't have enouch throat space and has very frustrating tension and pulling problems while quilting.

Thanks for any help you can give - I'm getting quite overwhelmed with all the choices!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

There is a host of machines that all function and look alike. Pfaff Grandquilter, Brother 1600, Yuki 980, etc. They are a basic straight-stitch machine that runs very fast. I read some blogs a while ago where a gal opted to get the Elna over the Janome because of price. Quality of the machines and features appeared to be the same. Just remember that they like a lot of oil and that you will have to dial in the tension. Some are persnickety with the type of thread they use. I don't think you'd go wrong with the Elna.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM

I would compare it to a Juki TL98 or the new 2000, Brother 1500, Babylock Quilters Pro, Viking/Husky Mega Quilter as well as the Pfaff mentioned above. They are all 9", straight stitch only machines. The Janome does NOT drop the feed dogs--it uses a cover plate. Since the Elna is probably made by Janome--I would be sure and double check those feed dogs.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:37 AM

([QUOTE=newtopa;5426829]Hi all - I am new here and trying to buy a new machine. I was out shopping this morning and found a great offer on a floor model Elna 7100, about $300 less than the Janome, which the saleswoman said was the exact same machine. After trying to do a bit of research online, though it seems I can't find out any information on this Elna model. Does anyone know anything about this model or has anyone used it for a while? I am leaning toward this, as the Janome is so much more, but I want to make sure I am really getting the same quality.

It seems people are usually happy with Janomes and their service - does anyone have experience with Elna machines? How is their customer service? )..............

I have this Elna--7100-that I got last summer from a La. dealer who was selling on ebay--a bit over $600. Then I ordered the darning/quilting foot that came w/a cover plate for FMQ. The machine only sews straight & reverse, but has a threader & cutter & the open throat is wonderful. I have been using the cone thread for sergers and have had no problems at all. I found a Janome table on ebay, as well, for a very good price--so I have been a happy camper. But, I've also owned 5 Elnas in the last 25-30 yrs, & still have 3 of them--so you can see I'm an Elna fan...tho all of mine were the solid metal until my 8000 and this 7100. My only complaint with this quilter is the location of the bobbin on the end, and I have difficulty grasping to remove it.

Last edited by mermaid; 08-12-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: redo