Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna Excellence 730/ Janome Horizon 8200  questions >

Elna Excellence 730/ Janome Horizon 8200 questions

Elna Excellence 730/ Janome Horizon 8200 questions

Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Default Elna Excellence 730/ Janome Horizon 8200 questions

Hi all,
In my quest for a larger harp space I've found a Used Elna Excellence 730 that looks pretty good and it's in my price range. None of the current machines that have 10" or more harp space are anywhere near to my price range so I had about given up. I'm told that this is the same as the Janome Horizon 8200.

What I'm interested in hearing is how well these machines hold up over time and with lots of use. Also, if there are any quirks that you just don't enjoy encountering when FMQ or piecing.

I've got a lot of experience (years) doing both on both a vintage bare bones mechanical Brother machine and on a relatively new Brother electronic machine and the only reason I'm looking for something else is to increase the harp space to something that will more gracefully handle the larger quilts that I'm now doing so I'm not looking for advice about how to go about FMQ.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't know, but I looked up a few reviews online for you:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/machine/5576
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/pro...e-horizon.html
Couldn't find a lot of negatives about it.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM

I am not sure how much difference the 740 is from the 730, but I have the 740 and it is awesome. I have had it about 3 years now, and it is a workhorse.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Hi Rob. Have you given it a test drive around the track? DSM are much like a car, you got to get comfortable and take it for a whiz around the block. When I went shopping for my Bernina, I actually took a small quilt sandwich to test out various machines. Have fun.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for the info. Maniac, I've been taking quilt sandwiches to all the sewing machine dealers in town and have found something to like about all the machines with 10" throats I've tried---except the prices which are way out of my budget LOL! I have had lots of fun playing with them, but will have to go with a used machine if I want to get a larger throat than what I've been using all these years, which is why I'm thinking about this Elna.

Rob
Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for the info. Maniac, I've been taking quilt sandwiches to all the sewing machine dealers in town and have found something to like about all the machines with 10" throats I've tried---except the prices which are way out of my budget LOL! I have had lots of fun playing with them, but will have to go with a used machine if I want to get a larger throat than what I've been using all these years, which is why I'm thinking about this Elna.

Rob
Hi Rob - I was wondering if you went with the Elna 730? If you did - how are you liking your machine? I am in the market for a sewing machine and have narrowed down my search thus far to either an Elna 720 or a Necchi QS60. My main reason is similar to yours, I would like a bigger harp space to quilt in. While I have FMQed an almost king quilt on a vintage singer - I would like to make that process a bit easier and more enjoyable with more space. I love, love how the Elna sews. I have actually found a 740 and 760 on ebay more toward my price range (and those 2 machines have either 10 or 11 inch harps). But I am very leery of purchasing a sewing machine off ebay, being unable to test it out. Even the 720 is pushing my budget quite a bit. I did consider a Juki TL2010, but I am just not feeling that one (I know Juki owners love their machines). I'm not willing to spend that kind of money for a machine I don't love since I anticipate using this machine for years to come. Thanks, Dawn
Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Hi Rob, I have the Janome 8200, I have only had it for about 3 months, but I love it. It has a 12 inch throat (harp) space. I have quilted a queen/king quilt on it, and I am new at free motion. It is wonderful. Lots of room to use ruler also. With the high shaft for the feet, there is room to have a ruler behind the needle. Great machine.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:04 PM

I bought the Elna Excellence a year ago & love it. The only complaint I have is that the needle threader is not as good as the one on my Baby Lock. BUT that is not a really big deal, it does thread the needle.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 AM

Hi Gail,

Do you have the 740? I noticed that I indicated the wrong machine in the title. I was impressed with the 720 that I tested in a shop (I didn't try the 740, as the 720 was at the top of my price range). I have read that on some 740s (it appears the earlier ones), that when you stopped, the machine took a few extra stitches. People with later production models say they haven't had that issue. I wondered if you have experienced that?

I found the machine at an excellent price. It is off of ebay. Which I'm just not sure about. The seller does not know how old the machine is (it was traded in for an upgrade to the 760). I'm thinking the seller perhaps has a shop. The seller says it was tuned up/sewn out by an authorized Elna dealer. So on the one hand it is an upgraded model that I am unlikely to be able to afford new. But there is a certain amount of risk there.

I test drove a Janome 8200 at a local dealer (they were super nice). But that really is out of my comfort zone for what I feel like I can spend. While I loved the machine and the 11 inch throat space, and I love some of the other features - most of it is more machine than I need if I have to also consider what it costs new (though for the right price I would snatch it up in an instance!!!)

Dawn
Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Hi,
No I ended up not getting the Elna. It was on Ebay and unfortunately I was outbid, so someone else ended up with what I understand is an excellent machine.

However, I managed to snag a used Brother PQ1500s off of Ebay for a very good price a couple of months ago. It has been awesome. I've FMQ'd 10 smaller wall hangings, 3 lap sized quilts, fixed a larger (not quite queen since quilt) and made a bunch of FMQ doodles on it so far and have been very pleased with it.

Rob