Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Emboridery Machines >

Emboridery Machines

Emboridery Machines

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I have a Janome 350e and love it. It does the 4x4 and 5x7, has the USB port and also uses cards (I don't). It is very user friendly. Combo machines are nice but after having one for a week, I knew that it was not for me. I prefer sewing while the 350E is making my quilt label for a quilt. Might add that I bought an external hard drive to use instead of hooking it to my computer.
Would you have gotten another machine (emb. only) now that you have experience? I agree, I'd like to let the embroidery machine do a stitch out while I'm sewing on another machine. I like the idea of using the external hard drive, as my desktop is in my livingroom & my sewing machines will be in another room. Can you just plug in the USB plug from HD to machine (assuming you got a HD that has an external power supply)? Many of the new smaller sized HD's require 2 USB ports, 1 for data, 1 for power; some of you may not be aware of this.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
The major thing is a reputable dealer within driving distance. I think Viking is the best but, again, you need a reputable dealer. Then go to the shop, tell them what he wants and "test drive" a second hand machine. Have them show him a bit about what their embroidery program will do. You can buy workbooks or hopefully the dealer will be offering classes in how to use both the machine and the software.
I have a Viking...LOVE it...but yes it cost a lot of money..=(
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM

I recently purchased a used machine. Brother ULT2003. I purchased it on ebay for $1200 including shipping. I asked a lot of questions and new I had a repair center in my area if needed. I liked the fact that I got a machine with a great brand name and for my money I can stitch up to 7"x12" and it includes the 5"x7" and the 4"x4" hoops. It was a risk, but it paid off for me. Just a thought, Mona~
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM

I have the Viking Ruby and have alot of options when it comes to hoop sizes which is one reason that I wanted this one. I didn't want to limit my self or out grow my machine and get bored even though I'm new to it all. I don't like limitations and even a 5 x7 hoop would be very limited to me. It's an easy machine to use, I love the cutwork needles; they make life so much easier. I bought the professional 5D software, I went with prof because I wanted to create my own cutwork and I also wanted to do the portrait stitching and then there is so much more that goes with it. I have a great dealer with great classes and support which I think is key when buying a machine. Go to stores and check them out. My machine recognizes all formats not just Viking's format which makes it nice. I can transfer files via USB or my pc.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee View Post
I recently purchased a used machine. Brother ULT2003. I purchased it on ebay for $1200 including shipping. I asked a lot of questions and new I had a repair center in my area if needed. I liked the fact that I got a machine with a great brand name and for my money I can stitch up to 7"x12" and it includes the 5"x7" and the 4"x4" hoops. It was a risk, but it paid off for me. Just a thought, Mona~
Hi,
I have a Brother ULT 2003 and the large hoop size I have is a 6x10. Do you have something that attaches the 7x12?

Thanks,

Kathy, In Sunny Wisconsin
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Best advice is to go to the different shops and check out the machines. Rather it be Bernina, Janome, Brother or Viking (my favorite) make see if you like the feel of the machine. See what the shop has to offer in reguards to classes and support. Get the largest hoops you can get 4x4 and 5x7 will be out grown very quickly so think about that; how far in the future would you be willing to upgrade if you got bored with what you got. Now as far as the designs; that's totally different. That's software. I have the 5D Pro; mines for Viking. It does it all including the portrait, cross stitch, cutwork needles, etc. For digitizing you'll want to get a decent program so check them out and see what fits. Good luck