Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Emboridery Machines >

Emboridery Machines

Emboridery Machines

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM

The fellow I taught to quilt is looking at Embroidery Machines & ask me my opinion on witch model would be best. I have no idea & figured you all that have them could guide him on what to look for. He wants to be able to put his own designs & patterns in it. Would be great full for any suggestions from any of you embroidery buffs. He also wants to keep the price as low as possible.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM

jamone 11000. Costs alot of money.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 AM

two things to consider and look for
1] the machine----how designs are transfered to the machine
how big an area you can embroider on[how big a hoop it supports
2] the computer program [and computer needed] to digitise your own designs
many choices look arround a lot before you spend so you are sure you get what you want-------i have a pfaff 2124 mid range approx 5 yers old $3000 aussi -- i run the 4 D
program without the ability to didgitise but can combine bits of other designs to make ie a garden scene approx $1800---ask as many users as yoou can---
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 AM

He can start off with one of the lower price machines and buy the software that allows him to digitize his own designs. I own 2 Brothers and I can use any software for digitizing. The most important thing is for him to decide how big he wants his embroidery area to be. One of mine does a 4x4 area and one does up to 5x7 area. He can start off for under $1,000 and that includes buying digitizing software. And he doesn't have to buy the software that is "specificaly" made for that machine.

If you want to PM me, I can give you more info.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:51 AM

If this person is looking to put their own designs and such "into an Embroidered design" then they need a digitizing program such as Embird to do this and learn to do this...digitizing is NOT Easy!!! takes patience...
As for Embroidery...buy the largest hoop size as you can. When you think you will only do 4x4 small designs, you will want to do the 5x7 an larger...measure twice and buy once...or you can look into the 6 needle machines...those are alot of fun...
Take your time, don't hurry and feel free to ask more questions.
K
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 AM

The major thing is a reputable dealer within driving distance. I think Viking is the best but, again, you need a reputable dealer. Then go to the shop, tell them what he wants and "test drive" a second hand machine. Have them show him a bit about what their embroidery program will do. You can buy workbooks or hopefully the dealer will be offering classes in how to use both the machine and the software.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 AM

No matter what machine, you can't just scan a picture in and it stitch out a design. Digitizing is a whole other can of worms - and you can use pretty much whatever digitizing program as long as you practice - which I don't do so I don't digitize .... I tried and didn't get past the learning curve. I just did not catch on...

For digitizing programs, there is Embird - has a free 30 day trial, there is another one that used to be *free* called Stitch Era I believe it was called.. there are also higher end programs that the dealers sell....

You can get a Brother with a 5x7 hoop at Walmart.com for $700. It takes a USB to transfer designs which is sweet. If you can help it, don't bother with cards and card readers - usb's are much easier to come by and a lot cheaper ;)

I have had 2 different Janomes and a Brother. I like both companies. Just get the biggest hoop you can afford.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 AM

I have a Janome 350e and love it. It does the 4x4 and 5x7, has the USB port and also uses cards (I don't). It is very user friendly. Combo machines are nice but after having one for a week, I knew that it was not for me. I prefer sewing while the 350E is making my quilt label for a quilt. Might add that I bought an external hard drive to use instead of hooking it to my computer.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Whatever machine you choose, make sure you have a hoop that will stitch out 5" X 7" designs. Many designs are now starting at that size and my 4" X 6" hoop is becoming obsolete :(
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 PM

My friend & I spent 2-1/2 hours checking out machines this morning. He is thinking he likes the Brother PE700 FS so far the best. Any thoughts about this one. Or does any of you have it. We are heading to a dealer 40 miles away, next week, to check them out more closely.