Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery machine on ebay? >

Embroidery machine on ebay?

Embroidery machine on ebay?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Embroidery machine on ebay?

Hello,
I'm just wondering if anyone here has had good luck with buying an embroidery machine on ebay? I'm mostly concerned with whether having it shipped did damage to the machine? I know these machines are shipped all over the world all the time, but I think they're usually handled a little better by the fright shippers who are handeling 100s of them at a time than they would be by USPS or UPS just handeling one.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Sorry, I've never purchased anything on ebay - I've always been leery of what I would get!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM

I did buy a embroidery machine off ebay and the party I got it from was real helpful
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 PM

I have purchased a lot of things on ebay and have been very please with the transaction as well as the shipping. I go by the sellers rating and feedback to judge if I make a purchase. I especially read the negative feedback. Most of those need to be taken with a grain of salt when reading. Also, if the seller has other similar items for sale, i.e. other sewing or embroidery machines in your case. If you are purchasing from the original owner, if they have sold before read their feedback. If you are buying from a first time seller, get the ebay protection and pay with paypal.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM

As long as they have the original box
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I've purchased a Kenmore sewing machine, a serger, and a Singer Featherweight on ebay. All arrived safely with no damage. I would check the seller's rating.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM

It's the seller packing it that matters, not so much the shipper. I've received three damaged to completely ruined machines via ebay sellers who have no idea how to pack. Insurance doesn't matter if they pack like a preschooler. No insurance will cover shoddy packing if you read the fine print. Be VERY sure the seller has past experience shipping sewing machines. I've shipped two and it cost about $20 each just for the boxing and packing materials, not counting mailing costs. My machines arrived perfectly. Be sure to pay via paypal so you can fight any charges if it arrives damaged.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 AM

Seller's feedback is critical. I never buy anything from a seller with a 98% feedback or less. Feedback has to be 99% or better. 98% sounds good until you look at the actual number of complaints---If the seller is active, you'd be surprised at how many complaints that adds up to. I also read the negative and neutral comments given sellers. If there is a common theme, like "not as described", "never received item", "poorly packaged, arrived damaged", then you know that's what you may be getting. I bought a $500 sewing machine from a seller once--great machine and great deal. I also bought a fairly inexpensive older Kenmore once, and seller plunked it into a cardboard box (which was too large) with absolutely nothing else in there for padding. It arrived with a cracked case, cracked machine base, and a few parts broken off, of course! Be sure to communicate with the seller about packaging before you bid. You can do well on ebay with some caution. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 AM

First of all when buying anything on eBay make sure the dealer has high marks for his ethics. I bought a machine on line and I got a two yr warranty on it; which is better than the new machines have and this is a Viking #1. I had some issues with the machine and the dealer did a great job trying to make sure first of all that I had everything that came with it and that it worked. I ended up sending it back to him to get it repaired and the only stipulation was that I should take it to UPS and have it boxed so that it would be covered by UPS warranty. It cost me $25 to have it boxed up and the seller paid for the shipping. I've read on here were some have had problems with buying online and getting the machine, it wasn't properly boxed and they got stuck with a broken machine because the seller didn't even have 7 day return policy. Be careful and check the sellers reviews to see what he offers. You can ask them how they ship and package it. I don't know where you are at but sometimes you can get really great machines from dealers. The shop that I go to for Viking now does consignments and will also take trade-ins other than Viking. Right now they have a Viking diamond for 3000, which is great and they have a Bernina. If the machine is a trade-in the have it serviced to make sure its in good shape an offer a warranty along with classes to teach you to learn. You may want to check out used machines in your area. In between sending and getting my Viking #1 back from repairs I ended up buying a used Ruby (7 hours of use) and then a yr later I traded it in and got a Viking Diamond Deluxe. The store had my used Ruby sold even before I could get it into the store. Now when I get a chance I'll sell my Viking #1 but my experience on eBay was good because I was careful and asked questions and checked out sellers reputation first.

And, alot of times you can get the used machines from dealers at zero financing which is great. I got both of my Vikings that way and I've seen other dealers offer the same thing. Good luck and just check it all out before spending your money.

Last edited by romanojg; 05-27-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 AM

I would also go for buying a good used one at a dealer, as they may not service one you buy from ebay.