Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machine question >

embroidery machine question

embroidery machine question

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM

I have been itching to get a embroidery machine. I have looked at different models at the dealers ( no used to be found), Decided that the Janome 350E @ $1500 is too much for me since I don't know how much I'll use it. So, my other choice is a Brother PE 770 which costs $640 or so.
Would I be crazy to consider a Husqvarna Designer 1 or something similiar which is used and many years old instead?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM

I like my Brother, but don't have anything to compare it with, price was my issue too, this one is good for quilt labels, you can buy more designs on CD to expand what it can do.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Janome machines are always my choice. I have a 9700 which does regular sewing beautifully and also is an embroidery machine. Check it out on the Janome.com site. I have friends who have brother machines and they love them. I also have a friend who has a Designer I and she told me a while back that Husquavarna did not make some piece for it and she was upset. Check it out before you spend the $$ in the Designer I. I, personally, prefer the Janome 9700 cause it does both and if my main machine (Horizon) goes out it is great to fall back on.
Good Luck!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

i've had my designer I for almost 7 years now- it's been a great machine (still is)
as for the embroidery unit- we used it ALOT when i first got the machine- but the (novelty) wore off i guess- i don't think i've used it in the past year- maybe 2- now if my daughter calls once in awhile for an embroidery project for her cheerleader daughters once in a while- but it's been a long time--
i have it if a project comes up for it-
kind of reminds me of our video games- everyone plays with them constantly for the first 6 months- to a year- then they seem to get set aside- and not touched anymore that's what has happened with my embroidery unit-
i still use my sewing machine every day though---would be pretty lost without it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

IF you can get a Designer 1 that has been upgraded to a USB that would be great! I love my Designer I and in addition to the embroidery it will sew through ANYTHING. Want to hem jeans? No problem. The only down side is the hassle of using floppies. I have the correct software to create them, but the USB version is much easier to deal with.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 PM

I have a D1 also and luv it...

I do not use the embroidery as much as I use to..but I still use it alot to make embroidery squares to make into quilt blocks...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 PM

I love my janome 350e...easy to use...check around for a better price.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM

I would take any Janome over anything else - except Babylock! The 350e is an awesome machine.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 PM

I have the Janome 350E and love it. Very user friendly. I use a stick as well as a cd reader for my patterns. I love Maxine and make my own quilt labels.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 AM

I have a Babylock duo (sewing and embroidery) that has worked well for years. Recently I bought a Brother 770 and enjoy having the separate machine. I can embroider while I sew which I couldn't do with the Babylock.

Just start sewing for your favorite charity. You'll have plenty of use for your embroidery machine! There are 1000s of free designs on the web.