Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machine >

Embroidery Machine

Embroidery Machine

Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 AM

I bought a Brother combo sewing embroidery Machine for less than 400 dollars 5 years ago it is still going strong Yes it only has a 4 inch hoop but a 6 inch block with a design in the middle is about perfect. I have done quite a few quilts already My Brother machine is serving me well! I got it off Amazon from Kens something or other! Good luck on your decision mine was up and running within an hour of getting it and I was even looking at Hubbys underwear as a possible spot to embroider until I made a few quilts! LOL
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Embroidery Machine

Originally Posted by Molly B View Post
I don't post often, so not sure If this is the correct procedure. I am looking to buy an Embroidery machine, Would anyone every buy an inexpensive Brother? Really don't want to spend a lot if I won't use it often. Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. Happy Sewing today.
My suggestion is to look at ebay, they have a guarantee and I prefer a yesterday's top of the line to any of the cheapies on sale as NEW today. Yesteryear they sold for thousands and today for hundreds and they can have larger hoops and usb ports etc. I bought a used Viking Designer 1 for $750.00 that I love with all the bells and whistles and sew on it all the time while my Pfaff is working away behind me.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 AM

I bought a brother as my first machine and then added a smaller hoop. I am now trying to sell this machine since I bought a new machine with a bigger hoop and decided to get into embroidery/ Likeyou I was not sure I would like embroidery and really didn't get into it that much so we investedin a basic Disney machine. Now I am in an embroidery club and loving it as it has come alon gway and like someone mentioned the key is using the right stabilizer.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM

I have been researching this myself and I like Brother's Designio machine which has a few more features than the Pe 770. The price is slightly more but for me it is worth it. Check it on Amazon.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 AM

It depends on which size hoops you want. If you want only 4 inch you can get great deals on overstock and get extended repair as well. If you want bigger see a dealer and find a reconditioned machine from them.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:44 AM

My DH bought me the $300.00 one for Christmas last year from Hancock's. I love it as I don't do much, it is just right for me.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 AM

My BFF in TX bought a Brother Quattro II two years ago for around $10k. She just stepped up to the Brother Dream, so she is going to sell her Quattro for a real bargain. I'm not into embroidery or I'd snap it up in a jiffy.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 PM

I think Brother machines are the best, from the inexpensive ones in discount stores to the top of the lines dealer only-I use them all. I keep the no longer made SE270 from Walmart at my daughter's, still going strong after 8 yrs-use it every time I visit.
The disadvantage of the lower ends ones are just capable of the 4 x 4 hoop but that is the size I use most anyway.
Brother just came out with a new embroidery only machine, on sale for $399 at dealers this month, can't remember the model number but it does Disney, not sure of what hoop sizes it takes. You can find information at Brotehr.com
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM

I'd like one just for putting a name on something, would a 4x4 be good for that? I don't want to spend a lot of money just to embroider names on a quilt or clothes ect. I already have a long arm I don't know how to work "yet" so can't spend a lot on an embroidery machine I know nothing about. I think DH would finally baulk at a big price for that. Any help would be appreciated.
Jeri
Old 12-14-2014, 02:59 AM

Two of my sewing machines are Brother's and so is my embroidery machine. I love them all. I've never had a problem with them. I've mostly done hand towels, aprons, baby clothing, quilt squares with my 4 x 4 hoop and it's always been big enough for the kinds of projects I enjoy doing.

Before you buy, check out www.allbrands.com They are an authorized dealer and their prices are great along with super fast delivery and FREE shipping. That is where I purchased all of my machines

Last edited by nygal; 12-14-2014 at 03:02 AM.