Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM

So what can you do with a hoop that is 4x4? I want to make a quilt with embroidered blocks.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

I totally agree shop around, do tons of research.
Go to dealers and "test" drive the machines. Set
a budget and do not let sales people talk you into
something more than you want to spend.

I have 2 machines now, my first machine had a 5x7
hoop as the largest and at first it was fine for me. But
after a couple years I started seeing designs that I really
wanted to get and make but couldn't because I didn't have
a larger hoop.

In January 2012 I purchased a new machine that has a 6x10
hoop and I am much happier (for now at least LOL).

Both of my machines are Brother's and they are fairly user
friendly and they are both combo machine meaning they do
both embroidery and sewing.

If you have a fantastic machine already that you like you may
even consider going for an embroidery only machine.

Just do your research and ask lots of question. Make a list of
features you want from the research you do.

Good luck and let us know what you get. We are here to help
you as much as we can.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

There a TONS of designs made for the 4x4 hoops, but to be totally
100% honest I have only used that size hoop maybe 4-5 times since
I got my first machine (in 2007). I am not a big fan of hooping all the
time I would much rather try to embroider 2 designs in my 6x10 hoop
as to set up a 4x4 two times.

Of course not many people are crazy for doing things like that.

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
So what can you do with a hoop that is 4x4? I want to make a quilt with embroidered blocks.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM

I have the Viking Designer SE that i would like to sell as i have three of them and wanting to sell one so i can get a ten needle machine . It takes (100x100) 4x4 hoop and (150x240)5.9 x 9.4 inches hoop and (150x360) 5.9x14.2 inches. All three comes with the machine. If interested pm me.
Originally Posted by SewQuiltsSally View Post
I've got the bug to get an embroidery machine, any suggestions from you that have one? What should I be looking for, what to avoid? I'm a fairly experienced quilter & pretty computer savvy so I'm not afraid to jump in so to speak. Just looking for some guidance from those who have been down this road. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
SQS; As someone just mentioned when purchasing a machine think about how you will use your embroideries. If you are thinking small designs then a 4x4 field may be enough for you.. If however you dream of embroidering jacket backs, skirt hemlines, tablecloths etc you will be much happier with an embroidery field much larger. I made that mistake with my first embroidery machine, as it had only a 4x4 hoop. Now, My Elli has one of the largest embroidery fields on the market and I am totally in love with this machine and all it can do! There are many machines that are moderately priced that will do a great job and have great sized hoops. Think about at least a 5x7 size hoop. And the MOST important thing of all is Dealer Support, I can't stress this enough! Even if it means purchasing something farther away from home than you would like, a supportive dealer who is willing to back you and gives classes is worth their weight in Gold! Good luck in your search!
Totally agree especially with the dealer support and also classes can be invaluable. I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe which currently is there top one, I did have a Ruby and it was also great, the Diamond has a very large hoop. I love my Vikings and have never used a 4x4 and rarely used the 5x7 hoop. I will hoop multiple designs if I have smaller ones, instead of doing them one at a time. All of the Vikings I've owned have been really great and you can use any thread. I would be upset at paying thousands of dollars for a machine and then have to only buy certain threads because it didn't play well. The only other emb machine that I've sewed on was a Brother and that was in class. While it did a good job and there are features that I liked about the machine that mine doesn't have mine has features that Brother doesn't have that mean alot to me. Vikings come with an organizer software that is a powerful tool and will help you alot with not only organizing designs but you can do some editing like adding the cutting jump stitch command. Love that feature. I would suggest though to go to several shops and try out the machine and when the feel of the shop's atmosphere and the machine feel right, you know you got it. I travel about 1/2 to 45 min to my store and it is so worth it. The teacher listens to what we need and want and incorporates them into our classes. The store has even now started not only the embroidery classes but using the sewing side of machine and all of it's features. This is great because you've paid for these features and you might as well know about them and how to use them. I love learning new things. Caution: no matter what machine you get, it's addicting and that's one of the biggest reasons to try out the machine and also to have some of the larger hoops available so you don't become bored or frustrated due to limitations. Good luck on your search and enjoy.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
There a TONS of designs made for the 4x4 hoops, but to be totally
100% honest I have only used that size hoop maybe 4-5 times since
I got my first machine (in 2007). I am not a big fan of hooping all the
time I would much rather try to embroider 2 designs in my 6x10 hoop
as to set up a 4x4 two times.

Of course not many people are crazy for doing things like that.
this is totally me too. I don't use the 4x4 or the 5x7 hardly at all. I'm saving up now for the biggest hoop that goes with my Diamond Deluxe. I have one that is over 13 in and I use it the most and do more than one design at a time if I have room. But if someone knows the want to embroidery on a quilt; I'd go with larger than the 5x7 even because you'll be constantly rehooping. This weekend I'm getting my endless hoop out and do the tutorials for it. Its been hanging on my wall way too long without being used.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM

I made lots of 6 in blocks with my 4 in designs. All red work designs. Teddy bears and nursery rhymes for baby quilts and pretty square designs for adult quilts. My machine is a very cheap Brother but is a workhorse. $300.
Someday hope to get an embroidery machine big enough to quilt a quilt with.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM

I love my Babylock Spirit. It does 4x4, 5x7, 6x6 and 7x12! I agree with Louise though, I use only two of the hoops in order for me to squeeze in more designs so I don't have to rehoop most of the time. Mostly I do lace work but for some swaps I have used the embroidery for tea towels and quilt tops. Quilty-Louise I have never seen a roll of Floriani that large! Can I come over and play?!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

That roll of Floriani Wet n Gone would have cost me $135, but I
got it when they had a 35% off Floriani stabilizer sale last year
so I got lucky and got it for about $87 plus tax.

100 yards goes a longgggg ways LOL. Of course what helps it
to last so long is that I ALWAYS use 2-4 layers of ws for all fsl
designs and I only use 1 layer of the floriani, the other layers
I use the wash n gone from joanns.

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
I love my Babylock Spirit. It does 4x4, 5x7, 6x6 and 7x12! I agree with Louise though, I use only two of the hoops in order for me to squeeze in more designs so I don't have to rehoop most of the time. Mostly I do lace work but for some swaps I have used the embroidery for tea towels and quilt tops. Quilty-Louise I have never seen a roll of Floriani that large! Can I come over and play?!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 AM

I just purchased the embroidery module for my Bernina 640. Our local quilt shop has classes on using it. I am signed up for every one in March and April. No use getting it if I don't know how to use it. Will be taking more classes as they are offered. I will be one busy girl between finishing grandson's graduation quilt and getting things done for quilt show in the fall. It would be great if embroidery people had a special place on board like vintage machine enthusiasts do.