Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Not even so. I have the Diamond Deluxe that is made in Sweeden by Viking. Just because Viking now owns Singer and Pfaff doesn't mean they'll let anyone else bring them down. The key is; Viking owns these companies, not Singer or Pfaff.
I'm sorry, but this is not true. In 2006, the holding company that had just brought Singer out of yet another bankruptcy acquired VSM(who owned Viking and Pfaff) keeping it out of bankruptcy. So in a sense Singer did buy Viking. The machines for all three brands are made in Shanghai China. This is straight from the SVP website.

Cari
Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Be very careful, just because it is from a Russian site, does not make it legal. It is still a copy written design. Many Designs sold on the net through eBay and such sites are bootleg and are copy write infringements. Disney owns their designs and are sold only through their distributors, so if you see design cd's advertised as "4000 Disney designs for $29.00" ( or any other too-good-to-be-true price) you can guess they are more than likely bootleg, and illegal.
just don't want anyone to find themselves on the wrong side of the law.
The reason there are so many people selling licensed designs and getting away with it now is because they are stretching the meaning of the First Sale Doctrination. Making copies of the design cards or disks and selling them is technically the illegal part, but it's sort of splitting hairs. Selling a licensed product you've bought, or selling a hand made item you've made using a licensed design or fabric, is not illegal, no matter what copyright holders say any longer. This went all the way to the supreme court. Justice Stevens handed down the ruling saying this-
"The whole point of the First Sale Doctrination is that once the copyright owner puts a copyrighted item into the stream of commerce by selling it, he has exhausted his exclusive statutory rights to control it's distribution."

Of course Disney and other manufacturers of licensed products don't want this ruling to be widely known to the public, but there it is. I've had this discussion several times at my LQS when someone over hears us talking about the sports themed items I make and sell.

Cari
Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
LoveQuilting22,
You do beautiful work! What stabilizers did you use for these?
For the or the bottom, I used Sulky 12-Inch by 11-Yard Tear-Easy Stabilizer Roll and on the top, I used Sulky Water Soluable stabilizer. I am pretty new at this embroidery stuff, but I am happy with the way these things came out. Thanks for looking!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 AM

does anyone use a magnetic hoop? when does it work well or not? it sounds so easy.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM

coffeecozy,
I have the magnetic 5x7 hoop and it works wonderful! I own a Babylock Spirit and it worked well with the last baby quilts I did since they were sandwiched already. Works very well with towels and even with cotton. I only use it though for those fabrics that I don't want hoop burn and it pretty much works well for me with all types of fabric and NO HOOP BURN! Hope this helped!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
does anyone use a magnetic hoop? when does it work well or not? it sounds so easy.
I agree that the 5x7 Snap Hoop Monster is AWESOME. the larger Magna Hoop, not so much.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'm sorry, but this is not true. In 2006, the holding company that had just brought Singer out of yet another bankruptcy acquired VSM(who owned Viking and Pfaff) keeping it out of bankruptcy. So in a sense Singer did buy Viking. The machines for all three brands are made in Shanghai China. This is straight from the SVP website.

Cari
The boxes that both of my two Vikings came in along with the website say made in Sweeden. I'll trust that. If you look at what you wrote Singer did not buy out Viking, just the opposite. You said VSM (who already owned Viking) bought out Singer then Viking bought out Singer. YOu said that Singer bought out Viking. It doesn't really matter. The machines are all great and we buy more from over seas than we realize. We can try as much as possible to buy all American made but with so many countries being able to make parts cheaper not all American made products are 100% American made. I actually have/have had 4 machines total that are Viking and can't say a bad word about any of them. I also have a 25yr old Singer that is great but would be leary about buying one today because of their reputation.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
The boxes that both of my two Vikings came in along with the website say made in Sweeden. I'll trust that. If you look at what you wrote Singer did not buy out Viking, just the opposite. You said VSM (who already owned Viking) bought out Singer then Viking bought out Singer. YOu said that Singer bought out Viking. It doesn't really matter. The machines are all great and we buy more from over seas than we realize. We can try as much as possible to buy all American made but with so many countries being able to make parts cheaper not all American made products are 100% American made. I actually have/have had 4 machines total that are Viking and can't say a bad word about any of them. I also have a 25yr old Singer that is great but would be leary about buying one today because of their reputation.
Well, that's not exactly what I said but you're right, in the grand scheme of things it's not what's important. We all have our favorite machines. I've never owned a Viking, my newest Singer is from 1955 and I did have a Pfaff 93 and hated it. I wouldn't buy a new Singer either.

Cari
Old 09-06-2014, 03:35 AM

thank you for you input on the magnetic hoop. i have a pfaff machine and i picked up the magnetic hoop for it. it's raining here today so it's a perfect day to hang out in my sewing room and give it a try.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:34 AM

I really love the 5x7 mag hoop for my Diamond Deluxe. I love it so much that when my first one came up missing, I paid the cost to buy another one. Not that much difference in cost over what you'd pay for a standard hoop.