Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Embroidery machines?

What is an embroidery machine and can it be used for machine quilting?

There a machines that do both. You should go to a dealer & watch a demonstration of a machine that does embroidery. There are many different ones.

My embroidery machine is also a sewing machine. So, yes it does both jobs and well.

Check around and listen to your quilting/embroidery friends as to what they like. Then go to the dealers and test drive what you can afford and think you will like.

Online is also a great resource ... but with almost too much hype.

ali

Thanks to both of you. You are right-I need to see one in action!!

Waddellrs - before I bought my first embroider machine, I indeed checked out all the places in town. I got information, prices, and demonstrations. I love the convenience of being able to use a thumb drive with mine for patterns. Definitely ask around and good luck! My machine also embroiders and sews but remember, you can't do both at once (LOL).

Blog Entries
    My Babylock Ellegante does it all. Except run fetch me a cup of coffee or take the dogs out....Does beautiful embroidery, and I quilt on it all the time.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What kind of machine do you have??? Many regular machines can be used for quilting.
    I'm looking for an embroidery only machine.

I have a regular sewing machine and I do use it to quilt. But I was thinking I could use an embroidery design for the quilting?

You can get emb. designs that you can use to quilt. I have some from Embroidery Library. They are nice but you need to make sure the quilt is supported so the weight doesn't pull it out of alignment. I didn't hoop but used the hoopless method with washaway stabilizer. i also pinned near the hoop to minimize shifting.

I have only the ones that do both. I got a great price on both, or I wouldve gotten one that only does embrodery!