Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines >

Embroidery Machines

Embroidery Machines

Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 AM

I have a Janome 350e. Easy to use, 2 hoop sizes 4x4 and 5x7.
Can use a usb to transfer designs .
Old 04-30-2011, 02:54 AM

If you stick to any of the major brands you will like it. They are all good. Find a good dealer and purchase her product. I have Vikings.

My warning (from expierence) is be sure you want to spend the money to do embroidery. It is not just the cost of the machine, that is just the beginning. You then need threads, many many threads, stabilizer, different kinds for different projects, and designs. You will need a computer program to arrange, open and download designs from the internet. Many places for free and low cost designs instead of purchasing those very expensive dealer designs.

This is not an inexpensive hobby.

Jean in MI
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Swap Hosts

My husband bought me a Baby Lock Sofia 2 for Christmas and I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with it. I've made quilt blocks, t-shirts, and the possibilities are endless. It only has a 4x4 hoop and I initially thought that the size would limit me, but unless I'm going to do tapestry wall hangings or something (NOT) it is just fine. I love it.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:23 AM

The Bernina Deco 340 is great for general home use ... and not as pricey as the bigger machines like the Artista 730 etc.
But if you want a sewing and embroidery machine in one, then the 730 is a good choice.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
My husband bought me a Baby Lock Sofia 2 for Christmas and I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with it. I've made quilt blocks, t-shirts, and the possibilities are endless. It only has a 4x4 hoop and I initially thought that the size would limit me, but unless I'm going to do tapestry wall hangings or something (NOT) it is just fine. I love it.
I have the Brother 700 and the Design lite software so I can download designs. I have made a few embroidery quilts and love how it adds to the quilt. Here is one you can see

Scrappy log
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190930[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190924.jpe  
Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 AM

I have a Husqvarna Designer 1, which is an old machine but is still great
As with any machine you need to research them before you purchase....also what budget do you have as they can range from about $800 - $5000....the quality on the cheaper ones can be excellent..they just don't come with all the bells and whistles.
1. Only the more expensive ones have colour screens and allow you to edit on the machine..ie make smaller or bigger,rotate etc.....This is a real nice to have but you can do that on your computer before transferring your design to the machine.
2. Hoop size....how big do you want to embroider, some machines will only accept small hoop sizes...you will need to check the maximum hoop size.....do you want to do long borders...some machine will be capable of this others won't......I think I have only gone above 5x 7 a couple of times
3. connection and transferring designs....do you want USB, very easy to use or are you happy with a card reader.
4. Software...You do NOT have to buy expensive manufacture software, there are some really good very easy to use programmes that are very cheap in comparrison and are great. Embird and SewWhat are the ones I use.

Threads and backings aren't cheap but it is wonderful just to finish a quilt with a personal embroidered message or anything for that matter.
Let us know what you get and have fun
Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 AM

I have a Babylock Ellegante and I love it. I didn't get any classes with my purchase, and had never machine embroidered before, but have had a lot of fun learning and collecting embroidery designs.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 AM

Husqvarna Viking...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 AM

I love my Janome!

Originally Posted by karen65ae
I have a Janome 350e. Easy to use, 2 hoop sizes 4x4 and 5x7.
Can use a usb to transfer designs .
Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 AM

Anyone is great. I personally have three Brother machines, 7500, 8200 & Innovis 4000 and a Pfaff 7570. But if you're interested in buying software Brother is the easiest, user friendly and Artista is really great too. I have Brother, Artista, Viking and Pfaff software and 99% of the time I use just the Brother and Artista software programs. They all have features that are just a little different from each other, just a matter of what you're looking for. But, Viking machines have the biggest area hoop on the market right now. But again, you could also buy the hoop it all hoops for larger designs.

No matter which machine you get, you'll have years of fun!