Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery on quilt?...need suggestions please... >

Embroidery on quilt?...need suggestions please...

Embroidery on quilt?...need suggestions please...

Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Embroidery on quilt?...need suggestions please...

I have a Bernina 830LE....I am going to do some embroidery on a Queen size Lone Star quilt. This will be my first time doing embroidery on a sandwiched quilt. I have Diane Gaudynski's "Quilting Whimsy" designs. Love the feather ones .

My question is....should I just use the designs as they came?.....start/end is at the center of designs.....or should I change the start/end to start at one end of the design & end at the other? Does it matter?--- will it make a difference in how the designs stitch out on the quilt? I'd hate to have to rip them out.

TIA
Feather3
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM

I embroider on quilts all the time (rather ME than quilt, so I use the light designs for my quilting). If I am understanding your question, the design starts needle down with first stitch in the center. I would advance the design until the needle moves to the actual starting point if only to avoid cutting a jump stitch later, but it isn't really necessary. The design will stitch out and then some designs will return to the center position and take a last stitch Again, just have to clip that jump stitch. However, if you have software and can move stitches, I would delete them if it bothers you. It will not distort the design unless you delete a tie off stitch or a color change stitch. Easy enough to run the design in software and see it on the puter. Good luck and post pics!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
I embroider on quilts all the time (rather ME than quilt, so I use the light designs for my quilting). If I am understanding your question, the design starts needle down with first stitch in the center. I would advance the design until the needle moves to the actual starting point if only to avoid cutting a jump stitch later, but it isn't really necessary. The design will stitch out and then some designs will return to the center position and take a last stitch Again, just have to clip that jump stitch. However, if you have software and can move stitches, I would delete them if it bothers you. It will not distort the design unless you delete a tie off stitch or a color change stitch. Easy enough to run the design in software and see it on the puter. Good luck and post pics!
Thanks for the reply & info ......Think I need to try a few test runs before I do this on the quilt. The designs are mostly outlines....open feathers. I have the V6 software & have been playing with sizing the designs. I have a ways to go yet before I can actually start the quilting. I need to clip lose threads, starch the backing, do the marking & then get my husband to help me sandwich it. Lots to do yet, but when I do get it done I'll post photos.

Feather3
Old 06-20-2014, 04:33 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t248231.html

above is an interesting link to a recent thread. They thread the machine for sewing, not embroidery. I want to try it on my next quilt. Will follow your thread too.