Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery >

Embroidery

Embroidery

Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM

I just bought a used Brother sewing and embroidery machine the se-270d. I got a REALLY good deal so please no I hate this machine :) I did read the reviews and saw a lot of good and a lot of bad. Anyways I was wondering why do i have to use embroidery thread? I mean does it really not work? Just curious. I have one color of embroidery thread thus far and am very impatient to try something else. I plan on buying a set of thread on ebay but in the mean time would regular thread work? Just curious as to what would happen. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Yes, regular thread will work. Using Rayon, the design will just be more shiney. Embroidery thread is just a heavier weight. Usually 40 wt verses 50 wt for regular thread. Have fun playing!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM

I also have used cotton thread for designs.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

It is really a matter of personal preference and what kind of finished product you prefer.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM

I did a Hummell embroidered quilt and I used Mettler Metrosene. It's 100% polyester. The Hummell figurines are not shiny, so it called for a thread that was not shiny. I have even used 12 weight heavy thread for embroidering red work designs. I've used yarn in the bobbin for bobbin work (I have a special bobbin holder. Use what you want.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM

I use whatever thread I have for my Brother SE350 even surger thread works just fine. You may have to fiddle with the top tension a bit but it is great. I love my machine. I do suggest bottom line thread in the bobbin as it goes such a long ways!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I have the same machine and love it :thumbup: You will enjoy it :lol:

As for the thread I have been told you can use almost any thread . it just depends on the look you want :lol:
Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Thank you thank you thank you. That is what I wanted to hear! Everything you read online said that you had to use only embroidery thread, I really didn't get why though. I am glad you all know so much! Thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM

I didn't read the book just took off with it so I didn't know any better and besides that I have lots of colors of coats and clark from my mom! LOL
Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I just bought a used Brother sewing and embroidery machine the se-270d. I got a REALLY good deal so please no I hate this machine :) I did read the reviews and saw a lot of good and a lot of bad. Anyways I was wondering why do i have to use embroidery thread? I mean does it really not work? Just curious. I have one color of embroidery thread thus far and am very impatient to try something else. I plan on buying a set of thread on ebay but in the mean time would regular thread work? Just curious as to what would happen. Thanks!
I recently bought a Brother SE350. I have used regular thread, mercerized, rayon, poly, etc. and it never balked on any of it. I did happen to have regular bobbin thread on hand and used it in the bobbin. Still purred right along through it all. At least that has been my experience. I hope you have fun with your new toy. I certainly do with mine.