Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: english paper piecing hexagon hand project- 1st blocks

most of my blocks are finished at 5 1/4" -- using 1 1/2" templates- for some reason- even though i'm using the size that is called for mine are not the 3 1/2" size that is stated with the program i have not figured out why that is but am happy with the size of them as they are. i am enjoying seeing all the different ways you can put together a few simple shapes to create different blocks. i am working on them mainly during breaks at work so i think i am 6 or 7 blocks behind but i put together a folder with a diagram of each new block so i can just keep (trudging) along. i will show you more when i get a few more done.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Those are just wonderful! I'm working on a simple GFG, myself.
    SittingPretty

Blog Entries
    THANKS. I couldn't think of doing them smaller. they are lovely.

Hi Folks! I popped in to see what all the commotion was about. I am so excited to see talk about the "Dear Me" blocks that are part of a workshop I am giving. I am not sure how many designs there will be, but so far we have 20. The original designs are two-color but jcrow is getting fancy by introducing more colors. Great job jcrow! Well, I better get back to work. Just wanted to say Hi to all the EPPers. 8o)
    cindy
    The Quilt Pattern Magazine
    http://www.quiltpatternmagazine.com

CK VERY nice!! Beautiful job! Everyone loves the quilting you did on my quilt!! Will get the binding on when I get back home. Fun to meet you!

Dear Me, I Am Going to Pieces!

ckcowl - It has to do with the way your are measuring the hexagons. I am sure yours are the right size but I bet you are measuring from flat edge to flat edge. The size of a shape is determined by the length of its edge, shown as distance "S" in the diagram I have uploaded. This makes matching of shapes very easy. A 1" hexagon goes with a 1" diamond, which goes with a 1" triangle, etc. A 3" hexagon would measure about 5-1/4" from flat edge to flat edge.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    most of my blocks are finished at 5 1/4" -- using 1 1/2" templates- for some reason- even though i'm using the size that is called for mine are not the 3 1/2" size that is stated with the program i have not figured out why that is but am happy with the size of them as they are. ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    cindy

thanks msdesigns- for clearing up my measuring confusion- i knew how the template pieces were measured & how they fit together but for some reason i thought i had read in the beginning that the blocks would be 3 1/2"- so when i made the the first one & it measured 5 1/4" i was (stumped) ... looked at it & looked at it---but figured---i like this size so---continue on- i'm glad it was just me--- & i am in fact doing them right- i am really enjoying these & hope you don't mind that i shared my blocks here too....also- welcome- i'm glad you showed up to see what all the talk was about
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You are more than welcome ckcowl. I am so glad you are enjoying the workshop! I am more than happy for you to share your finished blocks here at the QuiltingBoard. 8o)
    cindy

Love your blocks, can you post any links to the blog or whatever, so we can get the patterns too???? Thanks!
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

Blog Entries
    Very pretty blocks. Love the fabric choices.
    Joyce

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast