Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing question, please. >

English Paper Piecing question, please.

English Paper Piecing question, please.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Default English Paper Piecing question, please.

When you baste the pieces on the hexagons or diamonds, etc. do you remove the basting tread before you sandwich it together?

For the most part I used matching thread and it doesn't show through to the top, but not sure if it will make a difference later. (I did use old thread just to use it up.)

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM

I always remove the basting, I baste fabric to my paper pattern. sew pieces together by hand, remove basting and paper, sandwich and quilt.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I always remove the basting, I baste fabric to my paper pattern. sew pieces together by hand, remove basting and paper, sandwich and quilt.
That's how I've done it as well. Love the technique as it's wonderfully portable.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
That's how I do it as well. I am working on a Queen size GFG, hand pieced in 1 inch hexagons, then to sandwich and hand quilt it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Yes you can't take it out once sandwiched. I love to paper piece inn between quilts . Then you quilt and I applique almost the backing and piecing together at edge. ,. You can square up project an the bind in normal way. Or as sme applique all eg the hexagons onto the front fabric and have border all round. Some cut away backing from hexagons.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

It depends on how you basted it. If you sewed through the papers, so the stitching is visible, you need to remove the basting threads. If you just whip stitched the corners, not going through the papers and not visible from the front, then it is up to you. I haven't removed my basting threads, but only working on my second GFG.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM

I baste to the papers using one fairly large stitch on the sides, and stitch in each "corner". When I am finished whip stitching, I clip that one stitch from the front, and remove the papers from the back, which pulls the basting ends to the back, then leave the basting stitches. I like to do the one stitch per side. It seems to stablize the fabric, and the papers won't fall out. I have had that happen a few times, and it's not easy to put the papers back! I also try to use up old thread for basting.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

when I baste mine I do not stitch through the paper- so I do not have to remove the basting stitches to get the papers out- I just pull the papers as I surround them so when the whole thing is together I only have the outer pieces to remove papers from- the basting stitches are small & on the backside only so they just remain.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 AM

I use plastic templates to make my hexagons. I just snip the thread to remove the template, leaving the thread in place. I get the templates from "brandy.com"
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

I am using the plastic templates from Brandy.com for the tumbling blocks quilt. They are the best!

Thank you all for your responses! I believe I am going to leave in my basting threads - there are so many, I was dreading having to remove them.