Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121

Thread: Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

  1. #11
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,714
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    When I was younger, and time was of the essence and I was making gifts, I would look for something I could do quickly but still have it look wonderful. Now I'm more relaxed, retired and more time (but not all of it at home at my sewing machine!) and I can do more leisurely sewing. I think for some of us it is the time and place we are at that dictates what pattern or how much time we have to get the project done. :)
    Good point - I have the luxury that quilting is my job so I can guilt-free spend as much time as I like at it! :-D

  2. #12
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,986
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love the whole process, especially hand sewing the binding down :mrgreen: such a feeling of accomplishment, but most of the time I'm not in any particular hurry, if life get's in the way, so be it. I'm finding it so relaxing to do some hand piecing while watching TV with the family in the evenings, I never thought I would enjoy hand work, but at the moment I am loving it.
    I love trying new techniques, some of which I have vowed not to repeat :wink: like a large quilt of identical blocks :mrgreen: But I am persistent and feel pleased with myself to have finished it. If I really hated something I think I would cut my losses and just not finish it.
    I'm not really interested in doing just a quick quilt, I want each quilt to teach me something new, to try a new colour combination, a different way of doing the traditional blocks so they look new again. I have only been quilting for 2 1/2 years and I don't think I will run out of new things to try any time soon. So far I have not made a repeat of a pattern except the OBW's (I think they each turn out different)
    DH is only starting to understand how I feel about quilting, he always used to ask, "who is that quilt for?" now I think he is realizing that it doesn't matter who it's for, but what I learn by making it :idea:
    I do enjoy making quilts for others that appreciate them, and they are not always to my taste, but they have all taught me something. :thumbup:

  3. #13
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    2,691
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like to challenge myself in order to grow as a Quilter, to learn new things. I did the "10 minute block" as a coffee quilt for my son and put coffee logos in each center. It was the perfect pattern for this idea. Everyone loves this quilt and it won a blue ribbon at the county fair HE put it in. I generally have three quilts working. One near to finish, one close to halfway and one still in planning or testing of pattern. This way I don't get bored. I never crash on a project. I may totally reorganize my plan and head off in a different direction but stil keep what I have done within the new plan. I like challenge.

  4. #14
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,714
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by woody
    I love the whole process, especially hand sewing the binding down :mrgreen: such a feeling of accomplishment, but most of the time I'm not in any particular hurry, if life get's in the way, so be it. I'm finding it so relaxing to do some hand piecing while watching TV with the family in the evenings, I never thought I would enjoy hand work, but at the moment I am loving it.
    I love trying new techniques, some of which I have vowed not to repeat :wink: like a large quilt of identical blocks :mrgreen: But I am persistent and feel pleased with myself to have finished it. If I really hated something I think I would cut my losses and just not finish it.
    I'm not really interested in doing just a quick quilt, I want each quilt to teach me something new, to try a new colour combination, a different way of doing the traditional blocks so they look new again. I have only been quilting for 2 1/2 years and I don't think I will run out of new things to try any time soon. So far I have not made a repeat of a pattern except the OBW's (I think they each turn out different)
    DH is only starting to understand how I feel about quilting, he always used to ask, "who is that quilt for?" now I think he is realizing that it doesn't matter who it's for, but what I learn by making it :idea:
    I do enjoy making quilts for others that appreciate them, and they are not always to my taste, but they have all taught me something. :thumbup:
    I think we're twins separated at birth. :mrgreen: And I think I know by 'twin ESP' the large quilt of identical blocks you're referring to. :lol:

  5. #15
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,878
    i like you are an (enjoy the process) kind of gal- i love the process- and it's ok if a quilt takes a year to finally come together- i always have a number of them going on in various stages and sometimes 2 or 3 will *suddenly* come together- which is exciting- but they may have been in the works for months.
    sometimes i have a deadline to meet- but i start projects and sometime later may decide- (i want to give this one to...for their birthday) then i have to concentrate on getting it done on time- but it has always been the process- not the finished project for me-...maybe that's why i have a few that may never be done- it's not the finished project that's important- and for what ever reason-the pleasure of the process has faded...
    i tend to look at the (done in 4 hour) type quilts and think...why would i bother? what a waste of time---but that's just me- i've seen some made that are very nice...just not my cup of tea :)

  6. #16
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,714
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I like to challenge myself in order to grow as a Quilter, to learn new things. I did the "10 minute block" as a coffee quilt for my son and put coffee logos in each center. It was the perfect pattern for this idea. Everyone loves this quilt and it won a blue ribbon at the county fair HE put it in. I generally have three quilts working. One near to finish, one close to halfway and one still in planning or testing of pattern. This way I don't get bored. I never crash on a project. I may totally reorganize my plan and head off in a different direction but stil keep what I have done within the new plan. I like challenge.
    Or perhaps we're triplets? :wink:

  7. #17
    Super Member Anael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,761
    I love the process but get bored very quickly also. It's hard to make so many identical blocks! So I have lots of projects, small ones and large quilts. If I would have to finish before I could start a new one I would give up on quilting.

  8. #18
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,906
    Blog Entries
    1
    I want to learn from each quilt I make. I love the whole process so fast is not necessary for me.

  9. #19
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,986
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I think we're twins separated at birth. :mrgreen: And I think I know by 'twin ESP' the large quilt of identical blocks you're referring to. :lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Or is it great minds think alike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

  10. #20
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    30,292
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeroom
    I'm usually motivated by time. I enjoy meeting a deadline. I might start a project with plenty of time, but when it comes right down to it, I am motivated by procrastination.
    this describes me as well

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.