Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging Paper Piecing Patterns

If you don't have fancy software would you just use a copy machine & play around until you got what you want? For instance, if I have a pattern for a 6 inch block that has 7 paperpieced sections, could I take each of the 7 pieces & enlarge each at 200%? Would that give me pieces that would work into a 12 inch block? Any ideas would be appreciated. 8)

I have been using the copier all year long to enlarge or shrink paper pieced blocks to the size I want. Just be sure to put the 'wrong' size patterns to the side. I grabbed one the other day and made a really nice block...the wrong size! Found the right sized pattern later and remade the block. The first was just for practice, right?

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    The first was just for practice, right?
    Or the beginning of a new WIP!

I've heard that a copy machine distorts the image slightly. All I do is use graph paper and draw my own if I want it larger. I like 8" blocks really well, so it fits nicely on graph paper. Then (now I confess) I use a copy machine to make duplicates. I don't enlarge it because I want it to end up an exact size. (Now you know what ER nurses do late at night when they have no patients, but lots of patience!) Sara

I was wondering this also. I want to enlarge some paper pieced blcoks also. Good question. I don't know how to make it larger on graph paper. Kyia.

Go figure....I'm going to answer my own question!!! :lol: I accidently came across this chart today when I was looking for a quilting block. It is a chart that shows what percent to enlarge or reduce a pattern on a copy machine to get a desired block size.

http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

I've also been told that the copy machine distorts the pattern piece, when copying. I'm not a piece quilter, I applique. And depending on the pattern piece I want to copy, I have used a copy machine and it has worked fine. I also use graph paper, as well as draw my own.

well Sara, I'm glad you have time to fool around!

thanks for the chart Annmarie, very handy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Chambley
    I've also been told that the copy machine distorts the pattern piece, when copying. I'm not a piece quilter, I applique. And depending on the pattern piece I want to copy, I have used a copy machine and it has worked fine. I also use graph paper, as well as draw my own.
    The newer copiers have an option that lets you get the exact size. Another option is to use ALL copies, they will be the same size. Keep your original to use if you need additional copies.

Happy copying

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast