Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Enlarging Rag Quilt

Enlarging Rag Quilt

Several years ago I made a double size rag quilt. Now the owner wants me to add blocks on three sides. The flannel doesn't have to be exactly the same pattern but close in color. I believe I could make the three rows (sides and bottom), wash and dry them, and then add to the original quilt. Would this be the best solution. I definitely don't want to make a new quilt.

Power Poster
    Just wash and dry the flannel SEVERAL TIMES before cutting it - to match the older quilt

Blog Entries
    I made a rag quilt last year and after it being used, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't big enough. I just added 1 row of blocks on each side. It is now big enough to cuddle in. I did a row on all 4 sides because I didn't have any more of the original fabric so I just used a different fabric and it looks like it was supposed to be that way. It was like adding a border to it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

i would just add the rows needed, clip then wash- that would be easier than (ragging) first then attaching- i've enlarged lots of raggy quilts- make them throws to cuddle with then person wants them queen sized instead...i just add more rows, clip & wash- easiest quilt i know of to enlarge after being finished...since i tend to clip (rag) the outside around the quilt i generally use painters tape & tape a straight edge around the quilt holding all the frayed edges together- then add the new rows, using the tape as a seam guide- then remove the tape- clip the new seam allowance- sew all the way around again & clip- then into the washer/dryer.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Blog Entries
    you can also use the June Taylor cutting board to make the fringe...really, really easy...there is a tute on her website. you just need to place a smaller cutting board under the fabric and then June Taylors over...and use a rotary blade..hard to explain...but she has a video on it...

Thank you so much for all your advice on enlarging the rag quilt. I'm always surprised at how helpful everyone is on the Quilting Board. Off to buy more fabric.