Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entering tops only in fairs and guild shows >

Entering tops only in fairs and guild shows

Entering tops only in fairs and guild shows

Old 08-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Three questions:
1. Do the top-only entries compete with completed quilts?
2. What's the reason for judging the back of a quilt top?
3. Do competitions allow entries that have been sent out for quilting? (i.e., made by one person, quilted by another)

A category for "tops only" makes sense to me. It could have its own list of judging criteria for the skills involved, but completely separate from the competition for completed quilts.
Judging the backs of quilts is like the motion picture industry giving an Academy Award for Tidiest Sound Stage.
If the answer to #3 is yes, do the two share the recognition/award?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I would be sure and fuse lightweight interfacing to the back of the quilt top. The top will get stretched by handling, and more if it is hung or draped.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of anything such as a "quilt top" category out where I live but I haven't been in competition for over a decade. I think it is dumb, because a quilt top isn't finished until it is made into a quilt.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I think it is dumb, because a quilt top isn't finished until it is made into a quilt.
Most fairs also have categories for judging other items which are not completely in their finished state. For instance, young livestock which are not yet full grown or market-ready, or judging livestock on-the-hoof for a market class, or eggs or certain produce which are typically judged raw, but cooked before being eaten.

As others have pointed out, entering the top only allows the judge to review the back of the quilt top. The quality of seams as seen from the back is important to the overall quality of the finished quilt.

Therefore, a top-only class makes sense to me.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM

Too Tacky for a Quilt Show??
I was an invited featured quilter at a guild show. This was the story and another link on page 6.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:41 PM

I personally wouldn't enter a top only judged competition! It would be too stressful that my top would come back stretched and out of shape!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM

Sewnoma, I think I'm with you on this issue. If I can gain inspiration or get a "swift kick" in the tush for motivation, anything that starts that, well that's a winner! At one time, I had a quilt top that my mother's mother pieced. I spent a small fortune having the top quilted (that was before I even thought I knew what I was doing with quilts LOL!) That's okay, 'cause I still have that quilt and my Grandmother has been gone since 1993. Sewnoma, I'm 70! I don't want to be judgmental on anything, but I'll sure seek ideas and inspiration any day of the week!

Jeanette
Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

My sister has entered several shows with tops only. Because of Parkinson's she cannot do actual quilting. They are happy to have tops as well as full quilts, because it makes the show just a bit bigger.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:17 AM

I think it's a great idea to open local shows to 'tops only' entries and say it's about time! It encourages more quilters to show their work, to get some evaluation of their work, and to build their confidence. It gives inspiration to others, maybe even some who have yet to pick up a needle and thread. It's especially encouraging to young quilters just starting out.

We're not talking about world class quilt shows. County fairs are all about community, participation, building relationships, and making memories. This 'new' class fits right in.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Just yesterday I was at a fair and was surprised to see three quilt tops on display. They were hanging right in with the completed quilts. The thing I didn't like is that they were folded to about 18 inches wide so you couldn't see the whole top. However some of the completed quilts were folded in half so you couldn't see all of them either. I suppose to save hanging space. One of the quilt tops won a ribbon but I don't know if it was in a separate category. It was a small fair and there was only about 20 quilts/tops altogether.