Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
entrance Fee's for GUILD shows! >

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

with the economy in the dumps, $ is hard to hang on to! So I have been picking up the fliers advertising the upcoming quilt shows here in OK and I have a question...how much is TOO MUCH for an entrance fee to a small guild show?
I think $5.00 is too much..especially if it is in a rural area in the fair building...I mean SMALL town stuff....but the bigger guild shows are heading up $10! I think guilds need to find a away to offset the entrance fee's!
What do you think?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Is the guild paying rent for the building?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Banned

some do not, other's I know only pay a small amount. one small town used the building for FREE, had their publicity done for FREE, etc, and wanted $8.00! for a show that only had 2 local vendors and 30 quilts hung....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

$5 is norm around here.. It goes to pay the speaker and their travel costs..
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Our local quilt guild has an annual show and the admission fee is $2. It is held in a gymnasium and is very full with all the quilts and vendors and there are instruction classes also.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 PM

I guess I look at the guild shows a little different. Is it worth $10 to me to get out of the house for a few hours, away from the kids and dishes and laundry, be by myself or maybe hang with a girlfriend, and look at pretty quilts and fabric? Most of the shows in my area are good shows, and I have a hard enough time finding things to "nurture myself" with.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Power Poster

I usually go by a $ a quilt. Sounds funny but if the show has 50 quilts then I think $5 is fair. I do expect to see about 5 vendors for my $5 also. I figure you are saving the gas to go to all the different stores. I would not pay much more than that unless the show was supposed to be really special with tons of quilts and vendors.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Our guild charged $5 we had over 200 quilts, plus a guild guest, they displayed some beautiful work by there guild members. 15 venders that I can remember. Classes off and on throughout the 2 days, a bed turning twice a day. Our guest artist was a local quilter who's work has been featured in several papers. Many of our members spent time sitting and doing diffrent types of hand work for people to stop and watch or ask questions about. Our income from the show was just enough to pay the rent of the hall and less than $1,000 left over. We use the show as a money maker. We give a scholership each year and donate quilts to several worthwhile organizations. All work is volenter. We sold over 600 tickets The Hall cost us over $2,000. this did include insurance, and power. It is not cheep to put one a good quilt show. and if you want to make a profit you have to charge a reasonable rate.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 PM

I think the last one I went to was $3 and was held in the high school gym. (It's a small town) There were a few vendors and some quilters giving a few demos of quilting techniques. I think it was worth it then. I think the last one was more money and I couldn't go, but heard it was good. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $5, and even that is a stretch. Pretty much everything at the show is for sale, so if they didn't charge admission, they would still make money. A lot of the members brought things to sell: old magazines, fabric, and things they made. Any food they offered wasn't free either, so I guess I agree with you, more people would go if the admission was free, and they probably would buy things at the show.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 AM

I've been to quilt shows held in churches and public library. There was no admission charge. however, they did charge for refreshments.