Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EPP Question >

EPP Question

EPP Question

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Default EPP Question

I'm going to try some EPP. I have diamond shaped templates which are paper (heavy white ones from Joann's). I cut my pieces with 1/4 " all around..I used an add a quarter ruler and rotary cutter, worked pretty well and was quick. then I starched my pieces, placed the paper on them and ironed over the 1/4". They seem to stay pretty well, is it really necessary to baste? I thought I read somewhere to do this instead of basting, but of course I can't find that info now! Am I nuts? Thanks in advance, I know you guys will set me straight!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:46 PM

I've not heard of the starch method but I have glued the fabric along the edge. Works fine. I think if your starch method will stay it sounds good, but I can't imagine it will stay as long as needed. there is a lot of manipulation between basting and taking out the paper. Good luck with it.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

Missie Carpenter from Traditional Primitives teaches a starch basting method that is a real time saver. If your pieces are staying well enough to stitch them together go for it! No need to baste if you don't have to. I bought a special brush from Missie that has a hollow tube to fill with starch then I can paint the edges of my fabric with the brush end. It works great. I often starch baste, sometimes I glue baste and sometimes I still sew baste. Don't over complicate it
Old 05-31-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

There are various methods of EPP. You just have to find what works best for you. I use a glue stick for my hexes. I have never heard of the starching method.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:22 AM

I too use the glue stick by sewline....I really don't think that starching is going to work for you unless you plan on finishing your project in just a few sessions, but I may be wrong, never having tried it myself. The paper gives that little bit of stability that is needed while you are handling......if you don't want to use paper for foundation, think about looking into inklingo by Linda Franz.....she irons fabric to sheets of freezer paper, runs thru printer to get the shape printed onto fabric from her program,cuts out and hand pieces ....
Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wing it and try without basting. I can always go back and baste if the starch doesn't hold. It's a learning process and mostly a lesson in patience! I need something to keep me occupied after some sinus surgery and I won't be able to lean over the machine, so now is the time to try!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Missie Carpenter from Traditional Primitives teaches a starch basting method that is a real time saver. If your pieces are staying well enough to stitch them together go for it! No need to baste if you don't have to. I bought a special brush from Missie that has a hollow tube to fill with starch then I can paint the edges of my fabric with the brush end. It works great. I often starch baste, sometimes I glue baste and sometimes I still sew baste. Don't over complicate it
I've never heard of starch basting, and the brush idea is intriguing...so do you brush on the starch and then iron? If so I can't imagine it is a time saver, and how would you do that on the go? But I'd like to know more about that.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I use to use the SewLine glue for basting hexies but now I use Elmer's Washable Glue stick. I put glue along all the paper edges at one time, then fold over the fabric. I usually sew the hexies together after about 8 are done and not wait until all is basted to start sewing.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 AM

I use the SewLine glue stick, too. Elmer's works but is hard to sew through for joining the pieces unless you keep it a tiny bit away from the fold. SewLine is narrow and can be sewn through.