Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 7 quilt software >

EQ 7 quilt software

EQ 7 quilt software

Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Default EQ 7 quilt software

I'm thinking of getting this software. Any inputs pros cons? Howdifficult is into learn.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Well, I have had previous versions and I just bought EQ7 a few months ago. Jumped from version 5.0. Still trying to learn the new icons and everything that has been an upgrade. There are lots of videos on EQ7 but my older computer won't let me view them. I know that Rhonda has a tutorial on EQ somewhere posted on this site. I could NEVER live without my EQ. I resize a lot of quilts for charity so it is very seldom that I am not using it every day. LOVE it.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

i'm still on version 5. i, too, use it almost daily. couldn't imagine life without it.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 PM

I, too, am still using v 5.0. It can be a challenge sometimes but I think, for the most part, the built in tutorials, along with the book, explain things fairly well. And as ManiacQuilter says, Rhonda's tutorials are also available and invaluable. It's definitely an investment, but one well worth it, in my opinion. I certainly don't use it to it's fullest advantage but it's awesome for re-sizing; getting a view of what various colorations will look like, etc.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:46 PM

I have EQ7. I have taken a couple classes on it at shows, but the video tutorials are very good. I love what I can do with this. Fun to be able to try out colors and upload my own stash. I would purchase it again.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 PM

The manual tutorials that come with it are good -- much better than Version 5 or 6
Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM

I have it but never use it...
Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM

I want to make so many quilts already. I can't imagine the number of quilts I'd like to make if I had this and could design them **drool** Maybe one day I can buy it.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 PM

The video tutorials are fairly good and, when used with the manual, actually useful.

However, EQ7 is NOT intuitive for the user who likes to 'figure things out' and ignore the manual.

Confession: Yes, i am that person; partly because when I worked in IT I had to design and test user interfaces. The best testing was just rummaging around in the software, so that's my preferred way of learning software.

In my "learned" opinion, it is not possible to learn EQ7 based only on the video's, nor can you just "play with it" and become anything more than a true novice using it. You must read the manual, or you'll get frustrated very easily.

In my case, I have used it several times to design quilts. I like that I can scan my fabrics into it, that I can see how a quilt will look before I actually make it, that I can easily change the fabrics/colors in a quilt. Haven't used the applique or quilt motif features yet, and probably never will.

The best advice that I can give you is to make sure it is a tool that you both can and will use in the coming years. Find someone who both has it and uses it and ask if you can try it. If your LQS uses it, ask if they can show it to you and preview the features to you.

PS: another use for EQ7: When I can't sleep at night, I take out the EQ7 manual and READ it. Usually, I'm ready to sleep within half an hour or less.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank you for all the input so far. Will definitely consider buying it.