Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ Software >

EQ Software

EQ Software

Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Where do I find this blog you all suggested, on this board, or the EQ site?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

I have EQ6. According to my PC ....the last time I used it was in 2010. That is my experience. I decided after trying to play with it..I prefer to just buy patterns, etc. I spend my time making projects...but good luck!

sandy
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM

I have EQ7. I like it, but it is not easy to learn or use. I worked as system analyst - wrote requirements, tested, wrote user guides for computer systems - so if it was easy to use, I would know it. It's major fault is that it is not intuitive at all. If you can get past that, it's very useful.

The documentation and video tutorials included with it is fairly good, but I think it is not comprehensive enough. You must be extremely determined to learn it and use it.

After saying that, I used it to design my granddaughters 'snake' quilt. I'd been searching for a snakey pattern for almost 3 years, and by playing around with EQ7, I had it! I gave her the quilt for Christmas; she loves the quilt, so that made EQ7 worthwhile to me.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM

I have EQ7 and I love it. I also bought the EQ stitch upgrade. Love that too.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 AM

Here is a link to the most recent blog entry

http://doyoueq.com/blog/2014/01/deta...+Quilt+Blog%29

On the right hand side, there are the typical links to previous blogs. Some time in late spring to early summer 2013 they had a series of block drawing lessons that were excellent.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I have EQ7. I like it, but it is not easy to learn or use. I worked as system analyst - wrote requirements, tested, wrote user guides for computer systems - so if it was easy to use, I would know it. It's major fault is that it is not intuitive at all. If you can get past that, it's very useful.

The documentation and video tutorials included with it is fairly good, but I think it is not comprehensive enough. You must be extremely determined to learn it and use it.

After saying that, I used it to design my granddaughters 'snake' quilt. I'd been searching for a snakey pattern for almost 3 years, and by playing around with EQ7, I had it! I gave her the quilt for Christmas; she loves the quilt, so that made EQ7 worthwhile to me.

Cathy, you articulated everything I found it to be. It is not "intuitive". For simple fun "designing" i use the dumbed down Quilt Wizard by EQ. I usually want to play with dimensions, etc and QW is intuitive enough for me. I am impressed with all of the functions EQ has to offer but in the end, I do not have a real "design" mind.

i also don't have the desire ti be a long arm quilter but I certainly admire those who do.

Piecer
designer
long arm quilter

All work teogether.

sandy
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I have EQ7. I like it, but it is not easy to learn or use. ... It's major fault is that it is not intuitive at all. If you can get past that, it's very useful.

The documentation and video tutorials included with it is fairly good, but I think it is not comprehensive enough. You must be extremely determined to learn it and use it. ....
Interesting ... My mind must be wired differently. My background is technical (Math and Computer Science) but I used it out of the box without even reading the directions with no problem. I had used another quilt software (Perfect Quilt Express) and found EQ much easier to use and more straight forward as well as much more capable. I did do the "lessons" finally and learned a lot more - but for the usual day to day use I found it easy to start with.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 AM

Hmmm... Well I am pretty techy, so will give you my impressions one it gets here and I play a bit.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Rhonda, a member here did fantastic lessons in pdf for us all last year I think, here's the link. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...a-t195158.html
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I used it out of the box without even reading the directions with no problem.
This was my experience also, and I am NOT a techy person.

At first, I gave myself permission to just play around with it without having any specific goal or design in mind. Once I felt familiar with the program, I started attempting specific designs. When I got stuck, I was able to easily find help either in the book itself, or in EQ's help forums.