Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ6 for Christmas >

EQ6 for Christmas

EQ6 for Christmas

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 PM

My mom knew I'd never spend the cash to buy Electric Quilt software for myself and would be using graphing paper and rulers until the end of time...so she bought me EQ6.

I've edited a block, imported fabric, done a quilt layout....and I haven't even read a tutorial yet. :oops: (In my defense, the software has a similar "feel" as Photoshop, and I learned that without reading the book too.)

Anyone else have the software? :lol: Even more importantly, does anyone actually make quilts from the software, or do you spend time doing layouts and not creating?

I can see myself wanting to create virtual designs instead of doing it in fabric....
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Hooray for you! I got EQ6 for Christmas as well from my dh, but I'm dutifully going through the tutes since I'm just that way! :-) I don't know how I'll end up using it, to tell you the truth, but I DO know that I have designed a table runner that I fully intend to start working on actually sewing here in the next week. I have a lot of things in my head I'm hoping to get put together in EQ.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 PM

I have to confess...DH never gets me anything for Christmas but he tells me to get whatever I want and he means it. I usually say "I don't need anything and let it go at that." This year he ordered EQ6 for me and now that I have the virus I got for Christmas off my computer I've been playing around with the program. I've got a quilt in my sketchbook that I plan to make as soon as I get the fabric for...just a simple design but it's mine. I got the printout for the pattern pieces and the fabric requirements, but how do I get the sewing directions printed? :oops:
Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 PM

Yes, I have EQ6...and I have had EQ since version 3. I love this program! Yes, I have made many quilts after designing them in EQ. I also use it to audition colors for my blocks when doing swaps or Quilt Alongs. Be sure to go to www.electricquilt.com and sign up for the newsletter. They you will be reminded to download the free fabrics each month and vote for the next month. They have some mystery quilts too to do in EQ. There is lots of good stuff on the website. And if you feel like you would like to take a class, check out Quilt University at www.quiltuniversity.com Their classes by Fran Gonzolez and Patty ??? (shoot the name just left my brain) are terrific. I took all the EQ5 ones and learned a ton...more than I got by reading the books and playing around with the software!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by auntluc
I got the printout for the pattern pieces and the fabric requirements, but how do I get the sewing directions printed? :oops:

I don't think there are sewing directions included. Since it's design software that allows you to create your own blocks, it would be next to impossible to determine the best way to piece everything. (If I'm wrong, someone please say something!!)
Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Piecemaker
Yes, I have EQ6...and I have had EQ since version 3. I love this program! Yes, I have made many quilts after designing them in EQ. I also use it to audition colors for my blocks when doing swaps or Quilt Alongs. Be sure to go to www.electricquilt.com and sign up for the newsletter. They you will be reminded to download the free fabrics each month and vote for the next month. They have some mystery quilts too to do in EQ. There is lots of good stuff on the website. And if you feel like you would like to take a class, check out Quilt University at www.quiltuniversity.com Their classes by Fran Gonzolez and Patty ??? (shoot the name just left my brain) are terrific. I took all the EQ5 ones and learned a ton...more than I got by reading the books and playing around with the software!

Hi there, stranger. I hope you and your family have had a wonderful holiday season.

I'm psyched about the fabric downloads--I spent NYE downloading them. I have to admit that I chose that over NYE celebrations with friends. This whole quilting thing has become a sick, sad disease!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Piecemaker, thanks for the link to the EQ classes. I have been looking for one in my area with EQ5 and they have all gone to E6 classes...I will check this out and probably take a class or 2!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM

I have EQ5 and I have designed a couple lap quilts with it. I love the software. The only problem I have had is determining how much fabric to buy. I have heard that EQ6 does a much better job giving accurate fabric requirements. I have never seen sewing instructions on EQ. I learned to quilt by doing block of the month at the local quilt shop and just applied what I had learned there. Kathy
Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

CONGRATS! Don't you love it?

I have the EQ5 version and at 1st I didn't read the instructions either and it is the easiest sofeware I've ever used.

I use it and do make the quilts I designed with it.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM

I too recieved EQ6 for christmas. Love it. DH gave it to me early so I have played with it a lot. It doesn't give sewing directions but it does give piecing order under print/foundation pattern. Hope that helps you.

I have already made one quilt I designed using the software for a Christmas gift and going to be starting another soon that I designed with EQ6 for my mom. :D