Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: EQ6 - EQ7 Which to buy??

  1. #1
    Member cookiedal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    59
    I'm interested in buying Electric Quilt 7. While reading reviews, etc. about the EQ7 I see that the EQ6 sells for about $50 less. Is there that much difference between the 2? I'm trying to save DH a little money! Keep in mind, I'm an amateur quilter although I've sewn all my life. I'm getting near retirement and thought this program would be great but I'm still thinking that EQ6 would be fine then I can upgrade when they release EQ8! Does anyone have 6 and then upgraded to 7 and could give me some advice? Thanks........

  2. #2
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,104
    The big difference is that with EQ7 you can draw your own squares. That was the deciding factor for me. I LOVE the drawing feature. Now I can take just about any quilt that I see and duplicate the blocks.

  3. #3
    Super Member cjtinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Russellville AR
    Posts
    1,755
    In my opinion the MAIN difference is that EQ6 comes with 4 activations. Once used, you will need to pay for additional installations! So if your hard drive crashes, or you reformat to install a new Windows OS, or you buy a new computer... poof you're going through those 4 activations in a hurry!

    EQ7 can only be installed on two computers, but all you have to do to MOVE it is to deactivate on one computer, install in on the new one, and reactivate. VERY fair and reasonable.

    It does have some cool new features. It's always worth getting the most current version, since they only come out every few years, a LOT of neat things get added.

  4. #4
    Super Member CoyoteQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    Gotta' add a question--- With an upgrade package can you upgrade from say EQ5 to EQ7, or do you have to go EQ5, EQ6, EQ7?

  5. #5
    eaglebeak1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    east central Indiana
    Posts
    211
    would suggest you contact EQ and ask Penny she will answer that one or check thier site

  6. #6
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,111
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedal1
    I'm interested in buying Electric Quilt 7. While reading reviews, etc. about the EQ7 I see that the EQ6 sells for about $50 less. Is there that much difference between the 2? I'm trying to save DH a little money! Keep in mind, I'm an amateur quilter although I've sewn all my life. I'm getting near retirement and thought this program would be great but I'm still thinking that EQ6 would be fine then I can upgrade when they release EQ8! Does anyone have 6 and then upgraded to 7 and could give me some advice? Thanks........
    You would have to buy the upgrade from EQ6 to EQ7 and then buy the upgrade to EQ8 You can't jump from EQ6 to EQ8 :wink:

    EQ7 has a lot more features than EQ6... it may pay you in the long run to get EQ7... you may not ever need more than it has to offer. The ability to transfer it from computer to computer is a wonderful improvement over EQ6's limited installations. :D:D:D

  7. #7
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,111
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers
    The big difference is that with EQ7 you can draw your own squares. That was the deciding factor for me. I LOVE the drawing feature. Now I can take just about any quilt that I see and duplicate the blocks.
    You can draw your own blocks with ANY of the EQ programs... I think Design Wizard is the only one that you can't :wink: :D:D:D

  8. #8
    Member cookiedal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedal1
    I'm interested in buying Electric Quilt 7. While reading reviews, etc. about the EQ7 I see that the EQ6 sells for about $50 less. Is there that much difference between the 2? I'm trying to save DH a little money! Keep in mind, I'm an amateur quilter although I've sewn all my life. I'm getting near retirement and thought this program would be great but I'm still thinking that EQ6 would be fine then I can upgrade when they release EQ8! Does anyone have 6 and then upgraded to 7 and could give me some advice? Thanks........
    You would have to buy the upgrade from EQ6 to EQ7 and then buy the upgrade to EQ8 You can't jump from EQ6 to EQ8 :wink:

    EQ7 has a lot more features than EQ6... it may pay you in the long run to get EQ7... you may not ever need more than it has to offer. The ability to transfer it from computer to computer is a wonderful improvement over EQ6's limited installations. :D:D:D
    Thanks everyone for the input........looks like EQ7 it is!!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    So where is the best place to get EQ7? Santa is in a really great mood here lately and she got me a new Laptop for Christmas (Yay!!) and now I am wanting to see if I can get the EQ7 to go on it!

    Billy

  10. #10
    Member cookiedal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    59
    Maybe some of the members can give us that info.........I've been searching on the internet and standard price seems to be $189. Found it on Ebay for $169, but feel more comfortable ordering from Amazon. Anyone know where to find it cheaper?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.