Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
eq6 - how often do you REALLY use it? >

eq6 - how often do you REALLY use it?

eq6 - how often do you REALLY use it?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 AM

I'm not sure if I just want to buy something or if I really want this. :roll:

So I'm opening the discussion to you all with 3 questions: how often do you use yours, do you spend more time drafting quilts than making them, do you ever say to yourself you wish you didn't buy it.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:50 AM

I use my quilter's magic before my EQ6...I think EQ is too much to figure out on an ongoing basis...it is something I have to sit and read the manual if I want to do any serious planning...and, have never ended up w/a project at the end of it...so, I do my own by printing blocks off...and, mov'n on....I know there are many that just love it, their site supp helps you and there are classes to pay more money to learn more...I'd rather be quilting! It becomes very frustrating and waste of my quilting time...but, that is just me:)Skeat
Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 AM

I use EQ6 on average, a couple times a month but it also depends on how ofter I'm quilting :-). For instance, I used it for all the xmas presents I'm making, I can duplicate a block that I see in a magazine or on the board or online, and see how it will look with my fabric before I cut. It's my "go to" software to design with the fabrics I have in mind before I start cutting. I spend time drafting because I keep changing my mind about the fabrics until I say "that's it those are the fabrics I'm using and the the quilt looks pretty!". I don't regret buying it at all! It's fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it! And you can print out the quilt, cutting measurements and fabric yardages! It saves me time, energy and fabric! Plus I got a great deal when I bought it on eBay so I don't think it's a waste of money! Sales and saving money always justify my spending! :lol: :lol: :P Hope this helps! :-)
Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator

i use my EQ6 for just about every quilt i make.

i haven't even begun to scratch the surface when it comes to using every feature i could but that's because i'm more of a traditional piecer and rarely do applique.

i occasionally wish i hadn't spent the extra money on version 6 because i'm not overly impressed by the way it scales and displays the fabrics i've scanned myself and imported. is it me or the program? i don't really know for sure.

i don't regret buying it. between the thousands of blocks built into the basic software, plus the number of companion programs available for additional pieced blocks, applique and quilting motifs, i think it's a much better value.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 AM

In order to justify the expense to myself, I'm trying to think of a way the software will save money. My plan would be to give up buying an equivalent amount of books/magazines.

I really like to do the layouts and yardage calculations with pencil and graph paper. But I would love to have the library of quilt blocks and quilting designs in EQ6. And it would give me a way to "quilt" at work when we're not busy!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 AM

Played with mine a lot when I first got it, but can't say I use it on a regular basis, BUT I do go to it when I want to start a new project. I love the fact that I can put my actual fabrics into a design that I want, especially since I use a lot of Moda and their lines are available to download into my EQ6. It's definitely worth the money. I've made quilts before EQ that when I put the fabrics together (just looking at them as yardage) looked fine to me, but when I assembled my quilt, I wasn't so crazy about the end result. Hasn't happened since I designed them on my EQ so it's worth it to me.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I don't use it daily, but its worth every penny to me when I do use it. I love printing blocks off...for PPing..it is worth its weight in gold. I love being able to audition different color layouts without having to drag out the crayons/colored pencils and redrawing a million times. I'd say if you can get it for a good price...go for it...
Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by elizajo
In order to justify the expense to myself, I'm trying to think of a way the software will save money. My plan would be to give up buying an equivalent amount of books/magazines.

I really like to do the layouts and yardage calculations with pencil and graph paper. But I would love to have the library of quilt blocks and quilting designs in EQ6. And it would give me a way to "quilt" at work when we're not busy!
you can only load the software on one computer at a time. it's designed to make sure users stick to that. if you want to "quilt" at work, too, you'll have to buy two copies.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I had no problem installing EQ on all my computers. I called EQ and said I had more than one computer and I think it cost me about $10 for the extra installs I needed.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM

i have not used mine a lot but only because i have not had alot of time to play with it.
i have been using it for a civil war quilt i am working on where they only show you a picture of the block and tell you they are 6 inches and you have to figure out the rest. So i just put them into eq6 and it gives me all the sizes of the pieces and templates if i need them.