Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EQ7 and Kaspersky Antivirus warnings

Blog Entries

EQ7 and Kaspersky Antivirus warnings

Yesterday, after being off the computer for some time, I logged on and all usual updates were done before I attempted to go into any programs. Didn't open anything and immediately I received a warning from Kaspersky Antivirus that there was something malicious with EQ7. Nothing else, only EQ7. Not knowing much about computers, I scanned the computer and cleaned it out (took over 3 hours). During this time, I logged onto my laptop and after updates, a warning came on the laptop with the same message about EQ7. I do have it installed on both desktop computer and laptop. I scanned and cleaned that also. Didn't take so long as I only use the laptop for sewing, quilting, and embroidery. I contacted Electric Quilt and they responded that there is an issue with Kaspersky Antivirus and EQ7. Kapsersky falsely identifies EQ7 as a virus and deletes it. Ugh. Now I have to go through that process of re-installing EQ7; don't know if my saved files etc. will still be there. I think of all the work I have done and it is a little depressing to think I have to re-do it all. I have my mom's and brother's quilts in there that I am working on-one is a quilt for the service my brother did in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Baghdad. I tell myself it will be okay. Electric Quilt says the issue is resolved and the next Kaspersky update will include a virus definition update to white-list EQ7 as a virus. Can't do anything until after tomorrow they said. If anyone has received this and does not know what was going on, now you do. Guess Kaspersky was working overtime, and/or EQ7 had a glitch that was not put in the initial program to prevent Kaspersky from shutting it down and deleting it.

I do believe in your virus software you can choose to have it quarantine programs - not delete them outright - and then you can go and look at them and manually delete. I know this does not help you now.

Blog Entries
    I had this happen yesterday too. I got a warning that there there was a Trojan virus with my EQ 7. I just ran what Kapersky wanted to then I did a full scan. It deleted my EQ 7 also.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

This underscores the need to perform regular backups. I would hate to lose my EQ7 files and hope that you can recover yours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I do believe in your virus software you can choose to have it quarantine programs - not delete them outright - and then you can go and look at them and manually delete. I know this does not help you now.
    Right, when we upgraded from Kaspersky to Kaspersky Pure, we did not add EQ7 to the list of others we did add because we never thought to. Wish I would have!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning!
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    This underscores the need to perform regular backups. I would hate to lose my EQ7 files and hope that you can recover yours.
    I do backups all the time. Sometimes, files CAN be not included. This has happened, and my son who is a Geek of all Geeks, says nothing is foolproof. Which we can prove. I don't know yet what all is missing-if anything, as I borrowed my laptop to my son to make sure there are no other issues with it. Those quilts and the work I did are on the laptop. I am hopeful as we do have automatic backups.

Blog Entries
    your files should all be there as they are stored in a different folder than the program
    Nancy in western NY

I've just ignored that warning from Kespersky about EQ7 and have not lost any files or had EQ7 deleted.
    jackie

I run Windows Security Essentials (it is free from Microsoft) because Kespersky has a lot of issues and Norton slows my computer down too much.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast