Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 - is it worth it? >

EQ7 - is it worth it?

EQ7 - is it worth it?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Default EQ7 - is it worth it?

I have been thinking of getting the EQ7, but I have some doubts. I don't want to get it and find out that it
was just a pretty program, but not really useful.

Can you help me by giving your opinion? I don't know of anyone that has it, so I can't really get their opinion. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Here's my take. I have seen members of this board do some beautiful things with EQ. It appears they can just whip things together very quickly. For me, I can not get to first base. I do not understand it at all - Have had it for a couple of years now. Even hitting the tutorials on the program do not give me a better understanding. I could have used it a million times if I just knew how!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I'm not too good with visulizing color placement, so I like to drop the colors into a quilt to see what they are going to look like. You can actually scan your fabric, but I've found that their fabric library fits my needs. it's more like where the lights and darks will go. I have also designed a couple of quilts and hope to do more of that. I will say that I have a long background using various drawing programs. I find it easy to use.
I found that quilt-in-a day has the best price by far:

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=28132
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

i got eq5 when it came out. i LOVE it! i don't buy any patterns... just draw my own. and like peperprincess, i love it for color placement. it takes just a minute to change your colorways. if eq7 is too pricey for you, try looking for a used eq5. i don't recommend eq6 as it has limited lives. also, our member Rhonda, has done tutorials here on the board on how to use each of them.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Here's my take. I have seen members of this board do some beautiful things with EQ. It appears they can just whip things together very quickly. For me, I can not get to first base. I do not understand it at all - Have had it for a couple of years now. Even hitting the tutorials on the program do not give me a better understanding. I could have used it a million times if I just knew how!!
It was the same forme. I even did all the lessons, plus was pain in the b----- on my mac having to switch to windows. Finally gave up. Just use graph paper and pencil. May try the Mac program someday.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM

I love EQ7. Well, worth it in my opinion...but then I just like to fool with computer programs. For those that don't like to read manuals it might not be worth the money for them...or maybe it would but they'd be better off taking a class somewhere on how to use it. I will say they have some very fine how-to videos that are included in with your purchase.

I use it to drop in the blocks (over 4000) that are provided with the program to design my quilts. I also go online to find free blocks that are not in my program and draw them to add to my program.

I also create applique motifs and stencils. Although I've not quite figured out how to create those continuous line stencils yet...but will over time I'm sure.

Like I said...I love it and well worth the money.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM

My SIL is very confortable using it. She started with EQ5 then, kept upgrading with each new version. I am getting somewhat confortable with EQ7 that I purchased last year (I think) I like it although I don't know yet, all the possibilities that it offers. I use it to design my own quilt because I do not want to make the same block over and over and over and over. Scanning my own fabric, playing with the color placement etc, is very interesting.

I think you need to be confortable and ready to take the time to learn to use it as we have to with any new computer software. If you do not like to learn new computer program, you might get frustrated as it takes time to getting used to it
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I love it, use it for almost every quilt that I make and lots more that I don't make. I started with EQ6 and upgraded to 7, will buy each new version as it comes out. I would not recommend getting an earlier version. Major improvements were made to the user interface with EQ6, and EQ7 eliminated the problem with moving from one computer to another. There are still features that I would like to see in the program, and maybe someday they will be added. But there are still features that I haven't explored yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Not for me. I did not use it enough. And everytime I had to change computers, I had to contact them to reinstate it for me. It seems it is only good for so long and only on one computer. I became very frustrated, everytime I wanted to use it there was some other issue. Not worth the hassel to me. Just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I have had it since it was a DOS program on floppy disc. The book is much better for me then the videos in learning how to use it. It lists step by step what to do. One thing, if you don't use it often you won't get efficient using it and end up thinking it is not a good program. I use it at least once a week to draft a block or resize or see how my fabrics will look in a block. With EQ7 you can import thumbnails of fabric found online right into the fabric library. Connecting Threads has all their fabric lines ready to import all at once into EQ7. EQ website has many fabric line libraries to import. Many are older lines that I have in my stash. I use the import and trace feature a lot to make a quilt block. I never had a problem reinstalling EQ7 on a new computer. I have it on two computers. One I use at DDs house and on my laptop.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.