Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Essential Quilting DVD collection >

The Essential Quilting DVD collection

The Essential Quilting DVD collection

Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Got it, kept it as the "gift" they mentioned, but sent back the slip and marked the block for do not send anymore.
That is exactly what all should do. Return slip and mark "Do not send anymore". You are under no obligation for payment to them.
The other one I don't like is from some cheesy outfit sending me bills for quilt magazine subscriptions that I already have. How many have they duped into paying the "lookalike bill"? I tear up and throw away. These days we have to watch out for every trick in the book they try to play in order to say "GOTCH YA".
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Got it, kept it as the "gift" they mentioned, but sent back the slip and marked the block for do not send anymore.
I did the same too
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
MTS
Banned

Someone must be watching our interests on our computers just to make a buck or two.... This just makes me mad when they start messing with my personal life.
Seriously?

Did you ever order from or subscribe to Quiltmaker, Fons&Porter,McCalls Quilting? Any of their sites?

They are just a few of the partners of TNmarketing.
http://www.tnmarketing.com/partners/

And almost every commercial publishing entity sells their subscription lists. List Rental Income is a very profitable line on every publishers P&L statement.

If you're unhappy about it and you don't want to be included, then simply contact either TNMarketing or the publisher directly, and tell them you want to be put on the DNP (Do Not Promote) lists.

If you really don't ever want to receive any promotional mail from any entity, then fill out the information under "More than just Mail" on this page:
https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member...D3817.tomcat2#
This is the Direct Media Association. Most mainstream legit companies using direct mail will always include the DNP list when they run a merge/purge of the potential target addressees.

You could be missing out on a lot of things from which you might not want to be excluded. Just saying.

But you never, ever have to pay for an unsolicited "gift" mailed to you. However, to prevent further items arriving unwanted in your mailbox - that you might be responsible for - send back the postcard (or whatever).
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

We've had this subject before when people were getting DVD's sent to them from F & P and McCall's (I think it was). Finally everyone was educated to realize that you are not obligated to respond in any way!! This is like getting a grocery flier or a hardware flier except that it's on a DVD. They want you to pay for THEIR advertising! The senders CANNOT make you pay in any way!! And you need NOT return it or say "No thanks" or anything! They send out thousands of them and are not doing you a personal favor.

Keep it or toss it!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 PM

I received the DVD today. I can't be bothered to send it back. I don't order from any of the quilting companies - so wonder how they got my name/address. Perhaps JoAnn's.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

somewhere I read that one should fold up all the stuff that somes in these letters and return it in the postage paid envelope. said they have to pay the excess postage. I usualy write across the blll that I don't want it and send alll back including the envelope it came in.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM

I als received a dvd from Fons & Porter along with a note telling me to consider it a gift if I didn't want to pay for it. Then they continued to hound me for payment to the point that I just sent it back in their pre-paid envelope. Then I received at least 2 more dun notices for payment. My magazine just came up for renewal & I tossed the slip in the trash as I refuse to do business with a company that acts like that! McCalls sent me a renewal notice a few yrs ago that was made to look like I was going to have one of my utilities shut off if I didn't pay them immediately. I complained, but didn't get anywhere so I don't buy that mag any more either.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Yeah, those envelopes that have "Service Interruption Notice" in big red letters are really annoying to me. And the worst thing is that they start coming the week after you've ordered and paid for a subscription! The goobers. :?

I came across one of these "Ultimate DVD Collection" DVD's in my software stack the other day - didn't even realize I had it, so that's how much of an impression it made on me.

I've never gotten a dunning notice about it and the note that comes with it says to keep the DVD as a gift. (Although there is also a return envelope for the DVD if I wanted to bother with it.)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Good info. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MTS
Someone must be watching our interests on our computers just to make a buck or two.... This just makes me mad when they start messing with my personal life.
Seriously?

Did you ever order from or subscribe to Quiltmaker, Fons&Porter,McCalls Quilting? Any of their sites?

They are just a few of the partners of TNmarketing.
http://www.tnmarketing.com/partners/

And almost every commercial publishing entity sells their subscription lists. List Rental Income is a very profitable line on every publishers P&L statement.

If you're unhappy about it and you don't want to be included, then simply contact either TNMarketing or the publisher directly, and tell them you want to be put on the DNP (Do Not Promote) lists.

If you really don't ever want to receive any promotional mail from any entity, then fill out the information under "More than just Mail" on this page:
https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member...D3817.tomcat2#
This is the Direct Media Association. Most mainstream legit companies using direct mail will always include the DNP list when they run a merge/purge of the potential target addressees.

You could be missing out on a lot of things from which you might not want to be excluded. Just saying.

But you never, ever have to pay for an unsolicited "gift" mailed to you. However, to prevent further items arriving unwanted in your mailbox - that you might be responsible for - send back the postcard (or whatever).
Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if Fons and Porter realize how much business they have lost because of their sales tactics. I don't even buy their products in the stores anymore, and certainly not their magazine.