Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

Do your giving
while you're living
So you're knowing
where it's going.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 AM
Swap Hosts

I love estate sales! Sometimes you'll find excellent scissors, fabric and they're always an excellent source for thread. You can't beat a bag full of thread for $5 vs $3-$10 a spool new. Two really stand out in my mind. The first was the estate of a quilter. The entire second floor was full of quilting stuff -- as was the first floor. Members of her guild were on hand to help and it truly looked like a quilt shop! I got my hard wood cutting table there. The second one was a tag sale at the home of a fabric designer. An INSANE amount of fabric -- and cheap, cheap, cheap.

As for my will -- I was actually just preparing an update and decided to give my machines and fabric to the local guild. My son actually asked me if I'd mind if he kept them! I was happy to do that.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 AM

Putting myself up for adoption now ..you can pick me please LOL Im in the same boat..all my kids like what I make but none interested in making things
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Do your giving
while you're living
So you're knowing
where it's going.
I used this idea a couple yrs ago and gave alot of my jewelry to my 2 daughters
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM

I was depending on my younger sister to take and distribute my "stuff", however a heart attack took her some years ago. My oldest daughter is interested in quilting but works such brutal hours she has not time. The second daughter was never interested in sewing/quilting but has developed it on her own. She sews, makes lots of quilts, does machine embroidery, and just bought a sit-down quilting machine. She has been doing machine quilting for about four years and does a fantastic job. She will be the one to be in charge of all the stuff I have accumulated through the years, as well as distribution of my quilts when I am gone. The third and fourth daughters do not sew at all, but do like the quilts. No grandkids expressing interest at least not at this time.,
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I am 74 years old and quilt nearly every day. Then I look at my fabric stash and wonder if I will live long enough to completely use it. I have greatly cut back on my fabric and sewing machine purchases. I have about 42 sewing machines and I find it very difficult to part with any of them but I must rethink this because I am sure they need to be used and I simply can't use them all. About 5 of them are really antique ones so they are not to be used. And, yes, we do go to estate sales and I always look for sewing things myself. I just truly enjoy visiting with the people and finding out a little about the person who left it all.
Maybe you could donate to a Charity that teaches Young women/Teens/Moms to sew and mend... As long as the sewing machines are in Good Working Condition. Hey even ask at local High School/Vocational School if any of the Gals would be interested in a Sewing machine for a low cost.. better than letting them sit and not be used... I got 3 sewing machines at an Estate Auction for $3.00 each and they run like a deer....
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 AM
ro
Banned

miriam had to laugh at your rhyme. but it makes sense. i always said my kids are gonna pull a big dumpster up to the front of the house, open all the front windows and throw everything out. they dont sew, they dont collect, they just dont....so its all my "junk." as for garage sales, dont find any quilting stuff in this neck of the woods. only had one where it was the quilting teacher from a group, she passed away, and her family put her stuff up for a sale. but that was it. probably just as well or i'd have double the amount of "stuff" that i have now. and for sure i'd have to move.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 AM

I "resemble" everyone who has a passion for quilting, but no other family member cares to learn. I tried all my daughter's lives when they lived at home to get them to learn, and they absolutely refused. One daughter said, "I'm going to marry someone who is rich and can afford to buy me clothes." Out of the mouths of babes! ha Now, two of them have started sewing, and the third one wants to learn, so I'll give her a machine when we move back to TX. But, all of them are basically learning on their own because they didn't glean the experience they could have had.

I LOVE going to estate sales, yard sales, garage sales, and prowling around on CL for bargains.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

My DD learned the basics then when she really wanted to sew she went to my mom. I'm teaching the grandkids. LOL
I'm also teaching the 4 and 7 year old how to clean and oil a sewing machine. They have that down fairly well. We are into taking apart the bobbin area and putting it back now. I kind of have to wait for them to grow up a little. But they love spending time here - well so far... The DGD who loves to clean is pictured in my avatar. That was a really dirty old Singer 66 we restored. She took apart that dirty old tension and I showed her how it went back. It now glows. She was not up for the shellac work but she helped on the rest of it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 AM

When a member of a local guild passed away, guild members went into action following a plan she had set up ahead of time. First members of her guild were allowed to "shop". Then, for many weekends (at leas 6 that I know of) her friends sold her quilting and needlework supplies at her home. Books were $2.00 each, fabric was $2 or $3/yd (they estimated the yardage no cutting), and some items were marked individually. After everything that could be sold in their time frame was sold, representatives of groups doing charity quilting were allowed to take what they could use for free. The money raised, ~$9,000.00, her husband donated to the Heart Fund. Even at those prices, I managed to spend ~$700.00 over two visits. Not only does everything go to those who appreciate it, it makes a wonderful means of celebrating the life of the deceased.

There is a document called the Quilter's Last Will and Testament" that is meant to be a funny/serious statement of where you want your items to go. Even though it is not a legal document, there's no reason, it can't be incorporated into a will or trust.

My daughter used to tease me with the dumpster comments: first the books, then the fabric, then the whales collections. So, now my intentions are in writing, down to who she should contact. They will know what to do, because we have all talked about it. Joyce in Delaware