Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever been this stupid? >

Ever been this stupid?

Ever been this stupid?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the laughs! I've learned to do that with my quilting, otherwise I'd cry. I have a lovely blue and yellow quilt on my frame that I'm giving to a friend as a wedding gift. As I rolled it up I noticed a lumpy black thing between the light yellow backing material and the batting...everything around it is quilted and I really don't want to take out the quilting to get the stupid BUG out that I quilted into the quilt!!!! AARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG! No hope that it won't be visible, but I'm going to pretend I don't see it and eventually it will get munched up and disappear...right?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Thanks for the laughs! I've learned to do that with my quilting, otherwise I'd cry. I have a lovely blue and yellow quilt on my frame that I'm giving to a friend as a wedding gift. As I rolled it up I noticed a lumpy black thing between the light yellow backing material and the batting...everything around it is quilted and I really don't want to take out the quilting to get the stupid BUG out that I quilted into the quilt!!!! AARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG! No hope that it won't be visible, but I'm going to pretend I don't see it and eventually it will get munched up and disappear...right?
Exactly, it will become dust and never be seen again.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Been there, done that. I am president of the club. But, sorry about this.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 PM

[quote=Susan49]:You mean that robots don't make that noise???? Tell the kids that you forgot to oil them before you sewed them on. My big question is WHY are you hand appliquing robots on a quilt for children?
---------------------------------
My daughter teaches right outside Ft. Hood, Texas and a lot of the kids are Army brats, as was her own. Sometimes the kids are kinda traumatized, Mom or Dad or both have to go somewhere else and they really need a big, long hug, but that is forbidden by school rules. So they need a small quilt to wrap up in and be able to sit next to either Fred or Ethel, whom they love. Fred and Ethel are life sized adult skeletons..and Ethel has her own story. Seems that two kids were fighting about sitting beside Ethel so DD grabbed her and hung her in the closet. Next came in the principle with a visiting Mr. Big, who of course zeroed in on Fred. He asked one little boy and got told "We have two of them but Ethel is in the closet and Mrs. G said that she had to stay there and won't let her come out"!!

Principle asked Mrs G to please explain that. which she did to giggles from every one of the adults, with interested kids watching in wide eyed confusion.

I'll be darn glad to finish that small quilt, hopefully in time for Christmas. And I'm not even talking about the ice cream quilt for another daughter..that one has already made me gain 4 or 5 pounds during the making of the cones alone.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM

You gave me a good laugh. I've never done that but have made some awful goofs. Just today was finishing my Christmas Block for the Swap Club. Noticed a white bias tape trailing my stitching. Tried to pull it out, didn't work. I had sewed some of this bias tape to the back of the appliques quilt block. After trimming it off as best I could, some of it is still there. Where did I pick up the trailing bias, Only my invisible critter knows.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM

ve a daughter who is left handed. She crochets, sews, writes, you name it left handed. She also mirrors images. Just recently she put up new drapes in her home. She handles the ones that started on the left, but I had to stand and show her what to do on the ones that started on the right.

That was even confusing to me who does things with both hands and mirrored immages. I can imagine how confusing it would be to another person.

Originally Posted by carhop
Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
My stupid human trick is that I mirror what I see...like I look at the pattern and the pictures and then do it completely backwards. Others don't really know it but it bothers the heck out of me! It is especially aggravating with putting together any sewing project that is supposed to have a "flap" on one side...it ends up on the wrong side! I am aware of it and try very hard not to do it but end up doing it anyway! It made learning to knit very difficult. I am right handed but my stitches look like they were done left handed...quilting is not as bad because I can blow uo a full color picture and lay it out on top and sew it piece by piece...I almost cut the angle backwards on half of the diamonds in my avatar.
I like the comments saying to leave the paper and tell the kids it is the robots. :) Very creative!
I am also right Handed and sew like a left handed person would you should see me knit (could never get the hang of it intill a left hander showed me how)it sure leads to ripping things out a lot so I do a lot of dumb things and drive any one watching me crazy they want to show me how to do it right.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM

[quote=stevendebbie25]Cut the back idea or leave it because it's a wall hanging.
------------------------------
No, actually it's not a wall hanging. She teaches outside huge Ft. Hood in Texas, where lots of the kids are Army brats and sometimes upset because Daddy and/or Mommy have to leave with the troops. What they need is a big hug but school districts don't allow that, so they need a quilt to wrap around them to make them warm and comforted. Hopefully. They argue about getting to sit next to Fred and Ethel..long story about her.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 AM

Don't you think just slitting the backing fabric on which the things are appliqued, the pulling the paper out from that slit? After the paper is out, slip a piece of one-sided-bond interfacing in facing the slit and iron it shut.[/quote]
--------------
Darn good idea. I've gone ahead with the rest of the applique (very, very carefully) and almost finished it, waiting to do the wrong ones last.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 AM

[quote=Ramona Byrd]
Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Cut the back idea or leave it because it's a wall hanging.
------------------------------
No, actually it's not a wall hanging. She teaches outside huge Ft. Hood in Texas, where lots of the kids are Army brats and sometimes upset because Daddy and/or Mommy have to leave with the troops. What they need is a big hug but school districts don't allow that, so they need a quilt to wrap around them to make them warm and comforted. Hopefully. They argue about getting to sit next to Fred and Ethel..long story about her.
I didn't have a 'Fred and Ethel' in my classroom, but I did have a huge pink rabbit. It was special to get to sit in the rabbit's lap. I also had a couch that was pretty special for sitting on to read. It was an old Danish modern couch with removable cushion covers that could be laundered.