Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it? >

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 AM

I can relate to not wanting to work on a quilt, I recently purchased the Frozen quilt kit from Fons and Porter. Sat down last week ready to start sewing when low and behold, it has 22 snowflake appliques. They give you a paper template of all three snowflakes which in my opinion would be impossible to cute out. They also state that the AccuGo cutter has a 7" snowflake die that you can purchase for $100. Go onto their website and they are our of stock. Spent the rest of the evening surfing for this die and found one, but it will take two weeks before I get it. So now I have spent around $300. on this quilt that I am dreading to sew, I have a very DIFFICULT time doing appliques. And at the same time, I cannot disappoint my great niece, this will be her present when her new baby sister is born next month, hope I can get it done in time. Thanks for letting me rant
NormaBeth
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 AM

My very first quilt project was a simple 9 patch wall hanging, using just three fabrics. I let a more experienced quilter talk me into a much more complicated pattern for my next project. The pattern called for star points in varying sizes, and 17 different fabrics. I spent almost $200 on fabric. For a newbie, those star points were very difficult to make. I finished the top and it was horrible. I never completed the quilt. I just couldn't justify spending more money on batting and the backing. I really should toss the quilt top because it makes me want to cry whenever I see it.

Thank goodness I decided to make a simple table runner for my third project. It brought back the joy of quilting!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Guilty!! LQS had a block of the month, just changing one fabric made it perfect for my bedroom. Started great, got all the bits, never got it together. WHY, ??????????????? No clue!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Sometimes in life we have to do things we don't like/want to do, but suck it up, do it and when you get it done sell or give pattern away and don't make another one.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM

I had a nagging problem that was carry over for a few years. Not sure what the mental block was but I just couldn't approach it. It was not a quilting project. What did work for me was finding an amount of time I think I could stand working on it. It ended up being 12 minutes. So each day set the timer and worked on it for 12 minutes. Yes it did take 3 months to get it done, but I did finish it.

If you can leave your work out so you're not spending to much time just getting it out and putting it away, just pick an amount of time you think you can work on it. One step at a time and eventually, Ta Da it is finished.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yes, their new pattern names ....UFO
Loved this!!
And I love fusible applique!

I always say if we all liked the same thing how dull this world would be!

Kif
Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
I can relate to not wanting to work on a quilt, I recently purchased the Frozen quilt kit from Fons and Porter. Sat down last week ready to start sewing when low and behold, it has 22 snowflake appliques. They give you a paper template of all three snowflakes which in my opinion would be impossible to cute out. They also state that the AccuGo cutter has a 7" snowflake die that you can purchase for $100. Go onto their website and they are our of stock. Spent the rest of the evening surfing for this die and found one, but it will take two weeks before I get it. So now I have spent around $300. on this quilt that I am dreading to sew, I have a very DIFFICULT time doing appliques. And at the same time, I cannot disappoint my great niece, this will be her present when her new baby sister is born next month, hope I can get it done in time. Thanks for letting me rant
NormaBeth
You just rant away!!
My dgd loves Frozen..and I'm making her a quilt using the panel now. But I'm making my own snowflakes, using snowflake outlines that I find, trace, print..still intricate, but not too bad. I can cut them out while watching tv with dh.
Kif
Old 10-28-2014, 03:16 PM

The worst was an elaborate, expensive quilt with ambiguous/wrong and wasteful instructions. No hope of getting the material again, so it has sat in a bag for 10 years waiting for a ''solution''...
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM

I had a similar problem with a paper piecing project. I loved the quilt and still do but the paper piecing was so boring I had to put it away. However a year later I got it out and decided to have 2 or 3 projects going all at once. I paper pieced 10 pieces and then went to something else. I did this daily and before long I was ready to put those pieces together. Again I did 10 a day and before long those were ready for the next step. I am now working on completing the larger squares and hope to have the final piecing done to send the quilt out to be quilted by Christmas. Result a quilt I still love. Little boredom on10 pieces at a time and would recommend this to anyone!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Yep! Me too. My very best friend got married and her husband wrote this beautiful love letter to her on muslin that they used as a backdrop to the archway where they said their vows. She asked me to make a quilt using that as backing. She loves modern quilts and fabrics. Me? Traditional and traditional colors and fabrics. This was TWO years ago! I have purchased all the fabrics, but can't seem to even start. The backing thing scares me to death (don't want to cut away any important parts, even she isn't as worried about that as I am). And I'm not loving the modern patterns, so I'm at a standstill. Maybe for their 10th anniversary, LOL!