Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever wonder just how long >

Ever wonder just how long

Ever wonder just how long

Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

While DH and I were able to work, buying fabric was not much of a problem, although I bought fabrics only on sale 90% of the time. I had friends who would give me their fabrics when they decided not to sew or quilt any more, my sister passed her fabrics on to me while she was alive and I inherited her fabric when she passed away. While I was recovering from spinal surgery and learning to walk again, a therapist heard that I quilted and gave me nearly 40 yds. of fabric a friend had given her that she wasn't going to use. Ultimately, I could not bring all my fabric with me when we downsized to an apt., but I gave away about half before I told my husband I was not giving away any more fabric. Granted I do still buy fabric when I need something in particular to finish a project, but it's nice to be able to head to my stash and "go shopping". Besides, quilting is cheaper than therapy. LOL
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM

I always look at the sale fabric to use for backing a quilt. I buy it when it is 50% off. There have been times I've purchased backing fabric at 90% off. It doesn't matter if the back coordinates with the front. Sometimes it is nice to have something totally different - almost another quilt when you look at the back.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 PM

One thing I have found is that no one realizes how much you are going to be spending on insurance once you retire. My husband and I have additional insurance besides Medicare and it costs a fortune. My brother-in-law retired at 55 and went back to work as he couldn't afford insurance. It can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 every three months per person. Unless people have pensions or other income, social security won't make it. My prescriptions used to cost $700.00 per month and I purchase prescription insurance as well. It can be tough unless you have really saved a nice nest egg.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM

I worked on building my stash for about the last 5 years I worked. I have enough now that I could sew for the next 50 years. At least I know I won't run out of fabric before I die! LOL
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM

It is a disheartening, isn't it! I can't believe how much $$$ I spent on my last quilt for our newest grandbaby!! All of it but the backing was at least $10.75 per yd!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Thank you for this info... I am getting close to retiring and have been worried .. I don't drink or smoke, my quilting and crafts is what I do...
Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Ladies, calm down!!! My husband and I have been retired for 16 years and you will always be able to quilt. Between your stash, your savings from not driving to work, buying clothes for work, going out ot lunch everyday or packing your lunch, and of course your management of money, you will be fine. I try to keep my "hobby" spending to $100 or less a month. Of course there are months I don't spend that much and some months I go over. You manage and you will too
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM

I started stocking up fabric and all other quilting notions, books, rulers and a new Janome 5 years before I retired.
Now I can go to my stash anytime for any project. Do I still buy..you bet..but not spending a lot of money
And I do have 6 vintage sewing machines including two FW's that I take to quilt camp four times a year.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM

I have been retired for 4 years and have started using up my stash and usually only have to buy the backing. I'm finishing all my ufos before I start new projects. I watch sells, use coupons, and ask for gift certificates for quilt stores. I don't really need anything and the certificates makes easy shopping for my family!. Like any hobby budgeting is required.